Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lebesgue integration over sets of measure zero

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    Is it true in general that if [itex]f[/itex] is Lebesgue integrable in a measure space [itex](X,\mathcal M,\mu)[/itex] with [itex]\mu[/itex] a positive measure, [itex]\mu(X) = 1[/itex], and [itex]E \in \mathcal M[/itex] satisfies [itex]\mu(E) = 0[/itex], then

[tex]
    \int_E f d\mu = 0
    [/tex]

This is one of those things I "knew" to be true yesterday, and the day before, and the day before...but now I can't show it! I need to be able to bound that integral, somehow, by [itex]\mu(E)[/itex], but how? Using Holder's inequality? But don't I need to know that [itex]f\in L^2[/itex] or [itex]f\in L^\infty[/itex] to do that? Do I know either of those? I don't think so...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's fairly easy, but it's tricky. Basically, we put

[tex]\int_E fd\mu\leq \int \|f\|_\infty d\mu=\|f\|_\infty \int d\mu=\|f\|_\infty \mu(E)[/tex]

Note that [itex]\|f\|_\infty=+\infty[/itex] can happen here, that's the tricky part. The thing isd that [itex]0.(+\infty)[/itex] is defined as 0 in measure theory.

4. Sep 18, 2011 #3
    Ah yes! [itex]0 \cdot \infty = 0[/itex]! I had forgotten about that. Thanks micromass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook