Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffusion equation in d- dimension

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1
    i know that idea would seem a bit weird but,

let us suppose we have a surface or volume in d- dimension, here d can be any real number (fractional dimension) the question is that we do not know what value 'd' is

[tex] \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} = D\,\Delta \phi [/tex]

D is a diffusion (constant) coefficient and 'nabla' is the Laplacian in d- dimension.

my question is if we performed a simulation of a 'diffusion process' could we get the value of 'd' , in other words, depending the dimension of space the diffusion process is completely different.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The solution for an instantaneous localized source in d-dimensional infinite media is

[tex]C(r,t)=\frac{N}{(4\pi D t)^{d/2}}\exp({\frac{-r^2}{4Dt}})[/tex]

(from Baluffi's Kinetics of Materials). N is the total amount of material initially at the source, and r is the distance from the source. I've never seen it used for fractional values of d, but the idea is intriguing.

4. Sep 24, 2008 #3
    thanks Mapes, the idea is 'does the dimension of space have physical consequences ? ' for example i was thinking if we could determine what dimension a surface, curve would have using physical methods. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?