Nondimensional diffusion equation to a dimensional one

In summary, if I set c=1 in my forward Euler scheme for solving the diffusion equation, then I am fixing the ratio of space/time, and I am not sure what else to do with the other variables.
Telemachus
Well, I was solving the 3D diffusion equation:

##\displaystyle \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial \phi(\mathbf{r},t)}{\partial t}-D\nabla^2 \phi(\mathbf{r},t)=q(\mathbf{r},t)##.

I wrote a program to do this. The problem concerns the diffusion of light. However, all this time I've been working with nondimensional units. I have set c=1, and solved everything that way, for different values of D.

In real problems, c is the speed of light, which is a huge number (##299 792 458 m / s##), and D is given in centimeters, typical values are around 0.3 cm to 0.01cm. The thing is that D is usually a small number, and c is huge. Should I expect to have some numerical problems when I solve this numerically? whatever I do with the dimensional units, there is no way I can avoid this huge difference of magnitudes, I think I should write everything in centimeters, which is the usual laboratory dimension concerning this type of experiments, or would it be better just to set c=1?

If I choose c=1, that fixes a ratio of space/time, so I'm not sure what should I do with the other variables, basically I'm saying that ##299 792 458 m / s=1##.

I am solving this using a forward Euler scheme in time.

Technology news on Phys.org
Why is the speed of light in the equation??

Likes Telemachus
Because it models the diffusion of light in turbid media.

Yes, I have neglected the absorption term, and it can be actually written in that way (which differs a bit on how it is written at wikipedia). But in the paper I am looking at, it looks the way I have written it (there might be some definitions involved in the middle). The unknown function in the equation I have written is the photon density, and wikipeadia talks about fluence rate.

So, recapitulating. The thing is that I have the speed of light, which is let's say: ##c=2.998\times 10^{10}cm/s##, so I will have some terms in the finite difference scheme which will be tenths orders of magnitude greater than some other terms (because c won't be multiplying every term), and what I want to know is if in my Fortran implementation of the finite difference scheme, using forward Euler in time, should I expect to have some numerical issues due to this.

My finite difference implementation looks like this:

##\phi(\mathbf{r},t^{n+1})=\phi(\mathbf{r},t^{n})+c\Delta t D\nabla^2 \phi(\mathbf{r},t^n)+c\Delta t q(\mathbf{r},t^n)##.

And suppose D=1.

Last edited:
See about diffusion equation numerical stability conditions.

If I set ##c=1##, then I am saying that ##3\times 10^{10}cm/s=1##, how can I relate this to the spatial and time dimensions? for example, if my physical dimension is 0.01cm, how much would it be in my units with ##c=1##? should I specify something else like my unit of time in order to determine this? for example, if I say, well ##1s=1##, then I clearly get a relation for my spatial unit: ##3\times 10^{10}cm=1##.

What is the nondimensional diffusion equation?

The nondimensional diffusion equation is a mathematical representation of the diffusion process, where a substance spreads out from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model the diffusion of heat, mass, or other quantities.

Why is it important to convert the nondimensional diffusion equation to a dimensional one?

Converting the nondimensional diffusion equation to a dimensional one allows for a more practical and realistic application of the equation. The dimensional equation takes into account the actual units and physical characteristics of the system being studied, making it easier to interpret and apply in real-world scenarios.

What are the steps to convert the nondimensional diffusion equation to a dimensional one?

The steps to convert the nondimensional diffusion equation to a dimensional one are as follows:

1. Identify the relevant physical parameters and their units.
  2. Determine the scaling factors for each parameter, based on the characteristic length, time, and concentration of the system.
  3. Substitute the scaled parameters into the nondimensional equation.
  4. Convert any dimensionless constants to their dimensional counterparts.
  5. Simplify and rearrange the equation to obtain the dimensional diffusion equation.

What are some real-world applications of the nondimensional diffusion equation?

The nondimensional diffusion equation has a wide range of applications in various fields, including:

• Heat transfer in buildings and other structures
  • Mass transport in chemical reactions and biological systems
  • Atmospheric dispersion of pollutants
  • Oil and gas reservoir engineering
  • Crystal growth and diffusion in materials science

What are the limitations of the nondimensional diffusion equation?

While the nondimensional diffusion equation is a useful tool for understanding and predicting diffusion processes, it does have some limitations. These include:

• Assuming a linear relationship between concentration and diffusion flux
  • Not accounting for non-uniformity and heterogeneity in the system
  • Ignoring the effects of external forces, such as gravity and flow
  • Not considering the diffusion of multiple species simultaneously