Diffy Qs, mixing problem set up

• Thread starter xcvxcvvc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing Set
In summary: Ok let's do this step... \frac{-3}{100 + t} \times \frac{1}{3} = \frac{-1}{100 + t} In summary, the problem involves a container with 10 pounds of salt dissolved in 100 liters of water. Pure water is pumped in at 4 L/hour and perfectly mixed solution is pumped out at 3L/hour. The question is how much salt remains in the tank after 2 hours. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the change in pounds of salt,
xcvxcvvc
Hey, I have this problem that is for a grade, so I want to make sure I set it up correctly. I don't care about solving for the function or anything(I know I did that part correctly).

Homework Statement

A container has 10 pounds of salt dissolved in 100 liters of water. Pure water is pumped in at 4 L/hour and perfectly mixed solution is pumped out at 3L/hour.

How much salt remains in the tank after 2 hours?

The Attempt at a Solution

change in pounds of salt = pounds of salt divided by the ever growing amount of liters times the amount of liters leaving should equal the pounds of salt leaving.
[tex]
\frac{dP}{dt} = \frac{P}{100 + 4t}(-3)t
[/tex]
where P is a function for pounds of salt in terms of hours.

OR should the total volume be the difference of the liters entering and leaving? I thought it makes more sense to say the liters are added at 4L as 3L leave, so we should think of the total volume as increasing by 4L regardless of the 3L leaving.

Physics news on Phys.org
So can anyone clarify: should the denominator be 100+4t or 100+t?

xcvxcvvc said:
Hey, I have this problem that is for a grade, so I want to make sure I set it up correctly. I don't care about solving for the function or anything(I know I did that part correctly).

Homework Statement

A container has 10 pounds of salt dissolved in 100 liters of water. Pure water is pumped in at 4 L/hour and perfectly mixed solution is pumped out at 3L/hour.

How much salt remains in the tank after 2 hours?

The Attempt at a Solution

change in pounds of salt = pounds of salt divided by the ever growing amount of liters times the amount of liters leaving should equal the pounds of salt leaving.
[tex]
\frac{dP}{dt} = \frac{P}{100 + 4t}(-3)t
[/tex]
where P is a function for pounds of salt in terms of hours.
Can you explain in words what each factor on the right side of the equation above represents?
xcvxcvvc said:
OR should the total volume be the difference of the liters entering and leaving? I thought it makes more sense to say the liters are added at 4L as 3L leave, so we should think of the total volume as increasing by 4L regardless of the 3L leaving.

Mark44 said:
Can you explain in words what each factor on the right side of the equation above represents?

P = function that gives pounds of salt as a function of time.
t = times in hours
-3t = flow of water out
4t = flow of water in
100 = initial number of liters

pounds per liter times liters results in pounds traveling due to the flow of liters.

so i said pounds (the function p gives pounds) divided by total liters(100 + 4t... or is it t) times liters leaving equals pounds leaving aka change in pounds.

xcvxcvvc said:

If 4L are entering and 3L are leaving then how can the volume increase by 4L? The net volume obviously increases by 1L for every time

djeitnstine said:
If 4L are entering and 3L are leaving then how can the volume increase by 4L? The net volume obviously increases by 1L for every time

Are you sure? I was thinking the equation represents what is leaving by using what hasn't left yet. Thus, 4L add to the volume BEFORE the 3L leave. It's as if the 4L were added before the 3L leave by an infinitesimally small time.

You're over analyzing the problem. Let's imagine the reverse situation, entering at 3L and leaving at 4L, would the decrease in Volume as time goes be 4L also?

djeitnstine said:
You're over analyzing the problem. Let's imagine the reverse situation, entering at 3L and leaving at 4L, would the decrease in Volume as time goes be 4L also?

noted. Everything else looks correct?

I don't know. You have
[tex] \frac{dP}{dt} = \frac{P}{100 + 4t}(-3)t [/tex]
What does P/(100 +4t) represent, and why is it being multiplied by -3t?

Your differential equation should model what's going on in the system. IOW, one should be able to translate directly from English into the symbols in the differential equation, and I'm not seeing it.

That extra 't' after (-3) has to go.

djeitnstine said:
That extra 't' after (-3) has to go.

[tex]

\frac{dP}{dt} = \frac{P}{100 + t}(-3)

[/tex]

gives the solution P = c * (t+150)^2, which results in the pounds of salt boundlessly increasing. That doesn't make sense, because the salt is leaving the tank (and definitely isn't increasing).

with the t, there is a bunch of really high powers(like to the 300) and low powerse(like -600), but it looks smooth and heads to zero smoothly and stays there.

Last edited:
Show your working because I got something completely different.

djeitnstine said:
Show your working because I got something completely different.

I did my calculations with 2 instead of -3. I'm getting

[tex]

P =\frac{C}{(t+100)^3}
[/tex]

is that right?

xcvxcvvc said:
I did my calculations with 2 instead of -3. I'm getting

[tex]

P =\frac{C}{(t+100)^3}
[/tex]

is that right?

Partially correct, you have the integration constant in the wrong place.

djeitnstine said:
Partially correct, you have the integration constant in the wrong place.

i checked my work and i checked with a calculator. The calculator says I'm right. are you sure about your answer?

Ok let's do this step by step

[tex]\frac{dP}{dt} =\frac{-3P}{(t+100)}[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{dP}{P} = \int \frac{-3dt}{(t+100)}[/tex]

[tex]ln(P) = ln(t+100)^-3 + c[/tex] <--- integrating constant

[tex]P= \frac{1}{(t+100)^3} + e^c[/tex][tex]P(t)= \frac{1}{(t+100)^3} + k[/tex] <---e to the power of a constant is just another constant

djeitnstine said:

[tex]P= \frac{1}{(t+100)^3} + e^c[/tex]

[tex]P(t)= \frac{1}{(t+100)^3} + k[/tex] <---e to the power of a constant is just another constant

e^(a + b) = e^(a) * e^(b)

just like x^3 * x^10 = x^13 or x^(3 + 10)

but thanks for your insights on taking that t out and replacing that 4t with a t. You saved me points :O

xcvxcvvc said:
e^(a + b) = e^(a) * e^(b)

just like x^3 * x^10 = x^13 or x^(3 + 10)

but thanks for your insights on taking that t out and replacing that 4t with a t. You saved me points :O

I forgot about that for a moment, my bad =]

djeitnstine said:

[tex]P= \frac{1}{(t+100)^3} + e^c[/tex]
The left side above is correct since [itex]e^{ln(P)} = P[/itex], but the right side is not.
You are exponentiating each side, so the right side is
[tex]e^{ln\frac{1}{(t + 100)^3 } + c}[/tex]
[tex]= e^{ln\frac{1}{(t + 100)^3 }}e^c[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{(t + 100)^3}K[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{K}{(t + 100)^3}[/tex]
where K = e^c

In the 2nd line above, I am using the fact that [itex]e^{a + b} = e^a * e^b[/itex]

Edit: I didn't see that you had corrected your work.

djeitnstine said:
[tex]P(t)= \frac{1}{(t+100)^3} + k[/tex] <---e to the power of a constant is just another constant

Last edited:

1. What is a "Diffy Q"?

A "Diffy Q" is a common abbreviation for "differential equation", which is an equation that contains derivatives of an unknown function. These equations are used to model many different phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What is a mixing problem set up?

A mixing problem set up is a type of problem that involves finding the concentration of a substance in a solution as it is being mixed or diluted. It usually involves using a differential equation to model how the concentration changes over time.

3. Why are differential equations important in mixing problems?

Differential equations are important in mixing problems because they allow us to model how the concentration of a substance changes over time as it is being mixed or diluted. This allows us to predict the concentration at any given time and make informed decisions about the mixing process.

4. What are some real-world applications of mixing problems?

Mixing problems have many real-world applications, such as in chemical reactions, pharmaceutical manufacturing, water treatment, and food and beverage production. They are also used in environmental science to model the dispersion of pollutants in water or air.

5. What are some techniques for solving Diffy Qs in mixing problems?

There are several techniques for solving Diffy Qs in mixing problems, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and using Laplace transforms. It is important to use the appropriate technique based on the specific problem and conditions given.