Digital Communications textbook?

In summary, the book is readable and has good mathematical rigor. However, it is intended as an intro grad level text and may require previous exposure to probability and stochastic processes.
Maxwell
Hey guys, I'm taking a Digital Communications class and we are using the book "Digital Communications" by Bernard Sklar. I have heard from a few people that this book is not as mathematically rigorous as some of the other books in the field and therefore does not provide a deep understanding of the material.

I am thinking about ordering the textbook "Digital Communications" by John Proakis. My professor has this listed as a recommended book and I've read some good reviews for it – especially that it is more mathematically intensive than the previously mentioned book.

Has anyone used the book before and can testify for its quality?

I also have the book "Communications Systems" by Simon Haykin that I used for another Communications class, so I have that as a reference as well.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The two best regarded texts are Proakis and Messerschmitt. Personally, I think Proakis is a much easier read, with much better organization and much clearer presentation. Both are the some of the most mathematically rigorous texts available. I would recommend Proakis.

- Warren

Proakis THE text

This is our primary text for an intro grad text. I'm through the first few chapters and I'd agree very readable with decent mathematical rigor. However the book is intended as an intro grad level text with an assumption of previous exposure to, and sufficient understanding of, probability and stochastic processes.

If you need background there, Papoulis' Probability, Random Variables and Stochastic Processors 4e is strongly recommended ( if you're truly after the mathematical rigor that lies behind RVs and stochasitc processes this is the book for you, however the tradeoff is a text that isn't necessarily reader friendly to someone new with limited knowledge in this area). There is a book by Leon-Garcia on this subject that offers good coverage of RVs/SPs and is generally easier to digest.

Good luck with your studies.

1. What is the purpose of a Digital Communications textbook?

The purpose of a Digital Communications textbook is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the principles, theories, and practices related to digital communication systems. It covers topics such as coding, modulation, multiplexing, networking, and signal processing, among others.

2. What are the key topics covered in a Digital Communications textbook?

Some of the key topics covered in a Digital Communications textbook include digital signal processing, error control coding, data compression, channel coding, and information theory. It also covers the basics of digital communication systems and their applications in various industries.

3. Is a background in mathematics necessary to understand a Digital Communications textbook?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is helpful, it is not necessary to understand a Digital Communications textbook. Most textbooks provide clear explanations and examples, making it accessible to students with varying levels of mathematical background. However, a strong foundation in algebra, calculus, and probability is recommended.

4. What sets apart a good Digital Communications textbook from a bad one?

A good Digital Communications textbook should have a clear and organized structure, provide practical examples and applications, and include real-world case studies. It should also have updated information and cover emerging technologies and trends in the field. A bad textbook may have outdated information, lack clarity, or not provide enough practice problems for students to apply their knowledge.

5. Can a Digital Communications textbook be used as a reference for professionals?

Yes, a Digital Communications textbook can be a valuable reference for professionals working in the field. It provides a comprehensive overview of the fundamental principles and can be used as a guide for solving complex problems. It may also include advanced topics and recent developments in the field, making it a useful resource for professionals to stay updated.