Dimension of subset containing two circles

In summary: I'll have to rewatch it to fully understand it.In summary, the conversation discussed the dimensionality of circles and the space between them. The circles themselves are one-dimensional, while the space between them is two-dimensional. The concept of dimension can be defined differently depending on the context, but a general rule is to look at the dimension of the tangent space at a certain point. The concept of dimension can also be generalized for fractals, resulting in a dimension of 1 for a set of two circles.
RubinLicht
So I am reading a calculus book, and went online to find explanations for why a circle is 1D.
Theres the explanations that say something about zooming in very close and seeing that it's indistinguishable from a Real line.
Or you can specify any point on it with only one variable
Or if there was a train on the circle you can only go in two directions, forwards or back (this is a loose definition ofc)

My question: you have two concentric circles centered at the origin with different nonzero radii, is the subset of R2 as defined by these circles one dimensional or two dimensional?

Feel free to ask me for clarifications if something is wrong

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The circles themselves are one dimensional, their interior, exterior or the space between them is two dimensional.
The answers you found are all more or less correct. The essential part here is, how do you define the dimension? This will influence the kind of answer you will get. As a thumb rule, you define the dimension of something curved by the dimension of its tangent space at a certain point. Since the tangent of a circle is a line and not, e.g. a plane, it is one dimensional. The space between your two circles is two dimensional, because a tangent there would be a two dimensional plane.

fresh_42 said:
The circles themselves are one dimensional, their interior, exterior or the space between them is two dimensional.
The answers you found are all more or less correct. The essential part here is, how do you define the dimension? This will influence the kind of answer you will get. As a thumb rule, you define the dimension of something curved by the dimension of its tangent space at a certain point. Since the tangent of a circle is a line and not, e.g. a plane, it is one dimensional. The space between your two circles is two dimensional, because a tangent there would be a two dimensional plane.
Clarification: I meant just the two curves. Not the space in between, but I see from your explanation that it is one dimensional. Thanks.

For the set of two circles, you can use a generalization of the concept of dimensions, typically used for fractals. The result is 1 for every non-empty finite set of circles.

mfb said:
For the set of two circles, you can use a generalization of the concept of dimensions, typically used for fractals. The result is 1 for every non-empty finite set of circles.
Ah I remember watching a beautiful video by 3blue1brown on YouTube about this

1. What is the dimension of a subset containing two circles?

The dimension of a subset containing two circles is two. This is because the two circles are considered to be two-dimensional objects, and the subset containing them is also two-dimensional.

2. Can a subset containing two circles have a dimension other than two?

No, a subset containing two circles can only have a dimension of two. This is because circles are two-dimensional objects, and any subset containing them will also have a dimension of two.

3. How does the dimension of a subset containing two circles affect its properties?

The dimension of a subset containing two circles affects its properties in terms of how many coordinates are needed to uniquely identify a point within the subset. In this case, two coordinates are needed, as the subset is two-dimensional.

4. Can a subset containing two circles have a fractional dimension?

No, a subset containing two circles cannot have a fractional dimension. Dimensions are whole numbers and cannot be fractions. The dimension of a subset containing two circles will always be two.

5. Is the dimension of a subset containing two circles the same as the dimension of the circles themselves?

No, the dimension of a subset containing two circles is not the same as the dimension of the circles themselves. The circles themselves have a dimension of one, while the subset containing them has a dimension of two.