1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional analysis, conversion of units in an equation

1. Oct 19, 2013 #1
    We are asked to transform this equation:

h=1147(1+0.05625T)[itex]\frac{V^{0.6}}{D^{0.4}}[/itex]

where the units of each variable h, T, V and D are:

h->[itex]\frac{kcal}{h·m^{2}·ºC}[/itex]
    T->ºC
    V->[itex]\frac{m}{s}[/itex]
    D->cm

into another equation where the units of each variable h, T, V and D now are:

h->[itex]\frac{Btu}{h·ft^{2}·ºF}[/itex]
    T->ºF
    V->[itex]\frac{ft}{s}[/itex]
    D->inches

Data:
    1 Btu <> 0.252 kcal
    1 ft <> 0.3048m
    1 ft <> 12 inches
    1 ºC <> 1.8 ºF
    (ºF) = 1.8(ºC)+32

The professor said the solution is

h=2.479T[itex]\frac{V^{0.6}}{D^{0.4}}[/itex]

however I've tried the very same solution method which had worked for me in the past to solve other conversion problems but I can't seem to get the answer right, I'm confused as to which temperature conversion "factor" should we use, 1 ºC<>1.8 ºF or (ºF)=1.8(ºC)+32? I have really given up on this. :confused:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show your work.

In your unit conversions, you have something per degree C. You are not trying to find a particular temperature, so F = 1.8C + 32 is not the correct conversion.

4. Oct 20, 2013 #3
    Well what i did first is find out the units of the constant 1147 in the original equation so the principle of dimensional homogeneity at both sides of the = sign is satisfied:

[itex]\frac{kcal}{h·m^{2}·ºC}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{kcal·cm^{0.4}·s^{0.6}}{h·m^{2.6}·ºC^{2}}[/itex]·ºC·[itex]\frac{m^{0.6}}{cm^{0.4}·s^{0.6}}[/itex]

Then I repeated the same process for the units of the new desired equation:

[itex]\frac{Btu}{h·ft^{2}·ºF}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{Btu·inches^{0.4}·s^{0.6}}{h·ft^{2.6}·ºF^{2}}[/itex]·ºF·[itex]\frac{ft^{0.6}}{inch^{0.4}·s^{0.6}}[/itex]

Then I made an attempt to convert the constant with its units from the original equation into a constant with the units from the desired equation:

1147[itex]\frac{kcal·cm^{0.4}·s^{0.6}}{h·m^{2.6}·ºC^{2}}[/itex]·[itex]\frac{Btu}{0.252kcal}[/itex]·[itex]\frac{0.394^{0.4}inches^{0.4}}{cm^{0.4}}[/itex]·[itex]\frac{0.3048^{2.6}m^{2.6}}{ft^{2.6}}[/itex]· This is where I don't know how to proceed in order to convert the temperature units from ºC[itex]^{2}[/itex] to ºF[itex]^{2}[/itex], the professor said we should use the factor 1ºC <> 1.8ºF when we have ΔT in an equation BUT when we have a specified T we should use (ºF)=1.8(ºC)+32, but SteamKing disagrees so I don't know how to proceed at all. I have a hunch my professor made a mistake but I'm not sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted