Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional Analysis? Involving Temperature

1. Sep 19, 2015 #1
    I was trying to convert a quantity in BTU/(ft*hr*F) to W/(m*C) and I can do it just fine by using a conversion factor from a table online, but what I want to know is how to come up with that conversion factor.

The conversion factor I looked up and have been using is 1 BTU/(ft*hr*F) = 1.73 W/(m*C). I tried to get this using dimensional analysis but it does not work. I think the problem is going from F to C because they do not have the same zero point. If that is the problem and I can't solve this with dimensional analysis how could I do it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2015 #2
    Break it up into pieces. First convert BTUs to Joules. Then convert Joules/Hr to Watts (hint: divide by 3600 seconds/Hr). That gives you W/(ft*F). Then multiply by the number of feet/meter. The multiply by the ratio of deltaF/deltaC = 1.8. The only thing that should matter is the ratio of the deltas of the degree C and degree F. The offset shouldn't matter here since you aren't making absolute temperature measurements. You're only concerned with the number of a quantity per unit temperature.

So it looks something like this: (1055.056 J/BTU)*(1/3600 Hr/s)*(3.28084 ft/meter)*(1.8 F/C) = 1.73

4. Sep 19, 2015 #3
    Thanks for clearing that up the 1.8 F/C was where I was going wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook