Dimensional Analysis? Involving Temperature

In summary, the conversation was about converting a quantity in BTU/(ft*hr*F) to W/(m*C). The conversion factor of 1 BTU/(ft*hr*F) = 1.73 W/(m*C) was looked up and used, but the speaker wanted to know how to come up with that conversion factor. They attempted to use dimensional analysis, but realized that the problem lies in converting from F to C because they do not have the same zero point. The solution was suggested to break the conversion into smaller steps and focus on the ratio of the deltas of degree C and degree F. The final conversion equation is shown to be (1055.056 J/BTU)*(1/3600 H
delsloww88
I was trying to convert a quantity in BTU/(ft*hr*F) to W/(m*C) and I can do it just fine by using a conversion factor from a table online, but what I want to know is how to come up with that conversion factor.

The conversion factor I looked up and have been using is 1 BTU/(ft*hr*F) = 1.73 W/(m*C). I tried to get this using dimensional analysis but it does not work. I think the problem is going from F to C because they do not have the same zero point. If that is the problem and I can't solve this with dimensional analysis how could I do it.

Science news on Phys.org
Break it up into pieces. First convert BTUs to Joules. Then convert Joules/Hr to Watts (hint: divide by 3600 seconds/Hr). That gives you W/(ft*F). Then multiply by the number of feet/meter. The multiply by the ratio of deltaF/deltaC = 1.8. The only thing that should matter is the ratio of the deltas of the degree C and degree F. The offset shouldn't matter here since you aren't making absolute temperature measurements. You're only concerned with the number of a quantity per unit temperature.

So it looks something like this: (1055.056 J/BTU)*(1/3600 Hr/s)*(3.28084 ft/meter)*(1.8 F/C) = 1.73

Thanks for clearing that up the 1.8 F/C was where I was going wrong.

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to convert units of measurement from one system to another. It involves using conversion factors to cancel out unwanted units and determine the desired unit.

2. How does dimensional analysis work?

Dimensional analysis works by using conversion factors, which are ratios between two different units of measurement. These conversion factors are multiplied together in a way that cancels out unwanted units and leaves the desired unit as the final answer.

3. Why is dimensional analysis important in science?

Dimensional analysis is important in science because it allows for accurate and consistent measurement conversions between different systems. It also helps to prevent errors and ensures that the correct units are used in calculations.

4. Can dimensional analysis be used for temperature conversions?

Yes, dimensional analysis is commonly used for temperature conversions. It involves using conversion factors between different temperature scales, such as Celsius, Fahrenheit, and Kelvin, to convert from one unit to another.

5. How does dimensional analysis involve temperature?

Dimensional analysis involves temperature by using conversion factors between different temperature scales, such as Celsius, Fahrenheit, and Kelvin. By using these conversion factors, temperature can be converted from one unit to another in a consistent and accurate manner.