1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensions related to Planck's constant H

1. Oct 10, 2013 #1
    Consider a system where the three fundamentally important quantities are the speed of light C with dimensions (L)/(T), Planck's constant H with dimensions (M)(L)^2/(T), and the mass of the proton M sub p with dimension (M).
    a) What combination of ratios and/or products of C, H, and M sub p will yield a new quantity of dimensions (L)?
    b) What combination of ratios and/or products of C, H, and M sub p will yield a new quantity of dimensions (T)?

I have no idea how to figure this out. I am brand new to physics so any help would be greatly appreciated. Could you please solve the question and walk me through how you found the answer? I am a very literal learner and I need to see the answer along with how you found it.

This is what I came up with, not sure if it's correct:

(C^a)*(H^b)*(M^c)

L^(a+2b)=L----> a+2b=1
    M^(b+c)= 1-----> b+c=0
    T^(a-b)=1---->a-b=0

a=-b
    b=1
    a=-1
    c=-1

(C^-1)*(H^1)*(M^-1)=H/C*M

-a-b=1
    a+2b=0
    b+c=0
    b=1
    a=-2
    c=-1

So, H/M*c*c

part A= H/M*C
    part B= H/M*C*C
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2013 #2
    :approve: yes, you are correct....I checked it myself. Cheers :smile:

4. Oct 10, 2013 #3
    Thank you! I've asked another question about fcc fraction packing for a pyramidal structure. Can you take a look at it and help me out? I'm really lost on that one.

5. Oct 10, 2013 #4
  6. Oct 10, 2013 #5
    I would've if I myself had any clue!!!:tongue: I am a student myself, I am not proficient with that topic!.....I am sure others will help out! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted