1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why Planck's Constant Has Dimensions and a Unit?

1. Oct 2, 2016 #1
    Despite being a constant, It has both dimensions and a unit, can someone kindly explain why ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Oct 2, 2016 #3
    Planck's Constant is a dimensional constant. Energy= Planck's Constant. * frequency . It is not the only constant that has dimensions , many other physical constants also has dimensions , like gravitational constant.

5. Oct 2, 2016 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This question is puzzling. Are you saying that the property of a "constant" includes NO dimensions and NO units?

"c", the speed of light in vacuum, is a constant. It has "dimensions and units". Why are you not asking about that as well?

Zz.

6. Oct 29, 2016 #5
    Actually I intended to ask generally, but then I went for the example spontaneously, I have just studied units and dimensions and they told me that constants don't have dimensions and units, for example, number one itself, angle of measure 60° etc, and what came in my mind are constants which are in many relations in physics

7. Oct 29, 2016 #6
  8. Oct 29, 2016 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This makes very little sense. Who are these "they" that you are referring to?

The examples you cited are NOT "constants" in physics. These are simply numbers associated with some quantity. Again, look at "c". Do you think this constant has NO dimensions and NO units? This one constant itself falsify any claim that a constant has no dimension and no units.

Zz.

9. Oct 29, 2016 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

As zapperz has pointed out, you are confusing terms. The examples you site are not physical constants, they are just numbers. If used in an equation, they can be called constants as far as math is concerned, but that has nothing to do with physical constants like c

10. Oct 30, 2016 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Simple answer: A constant may either have dimensions (i.e. units), or it may not.

Examples:
    The fine structure constant alpha = 1/137.035... is a dimensionless physical constant.
    And, as pointed out already in this thread, Planck's constant and the speed of light are constants that have units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted