Why Planck's Constant Has Dimensions and a Unit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the concept of constants having dimensions and units. The individual asking the question is puzzled by the idea that constants can have dimensions and units, and the conversation explains that some constants do have dimensions and units, while others do not. The examples given, such as the fine structure constant and Planck's constant, demonstrate the different types of constants.
Nader AbdlGhani
Despite being a constant, It has both dimensions and a unit, can someone kindly explain why ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Planck's Constant is a dimensional constant. Energy= Planck's Constant. * frequency . It is not the only constant that has dimensions , many other physical constants also has dimensions , like gravitational constant.

Nader AbdlGhani said:
Despite being a constant, It has both dimensions and a unit, can someone kindly explain why ?

This question is puzzling. Are you saying that the property of a "constant" includes NO dimensions and NO units?

"c", the speed of light in vacuum, is a constant. It has "dimensions and units". Why are you not asking about that as well?

Zz.

Likes Bystander
ZapperZ said:
This question is puzzling. Are you saying that the property of a "constant" includes NO dimensions and NO units?

"c", the speed of light in vacuum, is a constant. It has "dimensions and units". Why are you not asking about that as well?

Zz.
Actually I intended to ask generally, but then I went for the example spontaneously, I have just studied units and dimensions and they told me that constants don't have dimensions and units, for example, number one itself, angle of measure 60° etc, and what came in my mind are constants which are in many relations in physics

Likes Nader AbdlGhani
Nader AbdlGhani said:
Actually I intended to ask generally, but then I went for the example spontaneously, I have just studied units and dimensions and they told me that constants don't have dimensions and units, for example, number one itself, angle of measure 60° etc, and what came in my mind are constants which are in many relations in physics

This makes very little sense. Who are these "they" that you are referring to?

The examples you cited are NOT "constants" in physics. These are simply numbers associated with some quantity. Again, look at "c". Do you think this constant has NO dimensions and NO units? This one constant itself falsify any claim that a constant has no dimension and no units.

Zz.

Nader AbdlGhani said:
As zapperz has pointed out, you are confusing terms. The examples you site are not physical constants, they are just numbers. If used in an equation, they can be called constants as far as math is concerned, but that has nothing to do with physical constants like c

Simple answer: A constant may either have dimensions (i.e. units), or it may not.

Examples:
The fine structure constant alpha = 1/137.035... is a dimensionless physical constant.
And, as pointed out already in this thread, Planck's constant and the speed of light are constants that have units.

1. Why does Planck's constant have dimensions and a unit?

Planck's constant, denoted by the symbol h, is a fundamental constant in physics that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It has dimensions of energy multiplied by time, and its unit is joule-second (J·s). This is because Planck's constant is used in equations that involve both energy and time, such as the Planck-Einstein relation and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

2. What is the significance of Planck's constant having dimensions?

The dimensions of Planck's constant are significant because they reveal its role in the fundamental laws of physics. Its dimensions of energy multiplied by time show that it is involved in the measurement of energy changes over time, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and the principles of quantum mechanics.

3. Why is Planck's constant often represented with units of joule-second?

Joule-second is the most commonly used unit for Planck's constant because it is derived from the SI units of energy (joule) and time (second). This unit is also convenient because it allows for easy conversions between energy and frequency, which are both relevant quantities in many physical phenomena.

4. How does the value of Planck's constant affect the behavior of particles?

The value of Planck's constant determines the scale at which quantum effects become noticeable. It is a very small value (6.626 x 10^-34 J·s), and its presence in equations such as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle shows that at the scale of subatomic particles, energy and time are inherently uncertain and cannot be measured simultaneously with absolute precision.

5. Can Planck's constant be measured directly?

No, Planck's constant cannot be measured directly as it is a fundamental constant in physics. However, its value can be determined experimentally by measuring other physical quantities such as the frequency or energy of a photon. These measurements can then be used in equations involving Planck's constant to obtain a numerical value.