What Would Happen To The Wave-particle Dualism If Planck’s Constant H=0?

• Thread starter khorsani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of Planck's constant being equal to zero on the concept of wave-particle duality. It is concluded that if h = 0, quantum physics would reduce to classical physics and there would be no wave-particle duality. Thank you to all who contributed to the discussion.
khorsani
Hi could somebody help me with the question above? I think If Planck’s constant was 0 then the energy in that region which is proportional to the frequency of the light wave would be 0 also. But I think I'm way off! Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
E=hf

E=0*f

therefore f= E/0

Dividing by zero destroys the universe
Uh oh!

Sorry I just couldn' resist:)

Dunno honestly don't have a clue . .

De Broglie's wavelength is given by the equation

[tex] \lambda = \frac{h}{p} [/tex]

where h is Planck's constant and p is the momentum of the particle. What happens to wave-particle duality if h = 0 should be fairly clear now.

kudoushinichi88 said:
De Broglie's wavelength is given by the equation

[tex] \lambda = \frac{h}{p} [/tex]

where h is Planck's constant and p is the momentum of the particle. What happens to wave-particle duality if h = 0 should be fairly clear now.

uhhhhh ...It isn't to me:uhh:

malty said:
uhhhhh ...It isn't to me:uhh:

h = 0 then 0 * (1/p) = ? 0x = ?

If you take the limit as Planck's constant tends to zero then quantum physics reduces to classical physics.

Yes, that means there will no such thing as wave-particle duality. Waves will behave like waves and particles will behave like particles.

Thank you !

Thanks to all for answering the wave-particle duality question...

1. What is Planck's constant and why is it important in wave-particle dualism?

Planck's constant, denoted as "h", is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is important in wave-particle dualism because it explains the behavior of particles that exhibit both wave-like and particle-like characteristics.

2. How would the concept of wave-particle dualism change if Planck's constant were to equal 0?

If Planck's constant were to equal 0, it would mean that the energy of a photon is not related to its frequency. This would fundamentally change the concept of wave-particle dualism as it would no longer be able to explain the behavior of particles in the quantum world.

3. Would wave-particle duality still exist if Planck's constant were to become 0?

No, wave-particle duality would not exist if Planck's constant were to become 0. This is because wave-particle duality is a result of Planck's constant and is based on the idea that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties.

4. Are there any other fundamental constants that could replace Planck's constant in wave-particle dualism?

No, Planck's constant is a unique and fundamental constant that is specific to quantum mechanics. It cannot be replaced by any other constant in explaining the wave-particle duality of particles.

5. How does Planck's constant impact our understanding of the nature of particles?

Planck's constant plays a crucial role in our understanding of the nature of particles. It helps explain the wave-like and particle-like behavior of particles and sheds light on the mysterious quantum world. Without Planck's constant, our understanding of the fundamental nature of particles would be incomplete.