1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipole Antenna - Effective Area

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the effective area (Aeff) for a short dipole with L = λ/60 and λ/2 dipole. If the wires used for dipoles has radii a = 1 cm compare Aeff with the physical area.

G(short dipole) = 1.5
    G(half wave dipole) = 1.64

2. Relevant equations

Aeff = G* λ2/4*pi

3. The attempt at a solution

Aeff = 1.64* λ2/4*pi = L2/pi * 1.64 = 0.052L2

Aphysical = pi*(a2 + a*L) = pi*10-4 + 1*10-2*L

What is confusing me is that I cannot seem to get a numerical answer for this problem even though it is apparently possible. I'm sure I just keep over looking something simple and making this easy problem harder than it has to be.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All your formulas are correct. You need the actual value of λ to get a numerical answer for the effective areas for both antennas.

Interestingly, the actual effective area of the λ/60 dipole is practically speaking not a function of L. Since the gain is 1.5, that makes the effective area not much less than that of the half-wave one! (However, the short dipole has a teeny-tiny radiation resistance, going as (L/λ)2., making it more or les useless.)

4. Apr 30, 2012 #3
    That is what is baffling me is there is no provided value for wavelength but my professor insists that a numerical value is possible. Since the two areas should be equivalent I set up a polynomial equation with them and got a L of 0.1135 m. But when I solve for the areas I get 4.1077 x 10^-3 m for effective area and 3.9 x 10 -3 m for the physical area. The fact that they are so close makes since but the area values seems far to small.

5. Apr 30, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is the wording exactly what you posted? The wording is not in good English ...
    "Determine the effective area (Aeff) for a short dipole with L = λ/60 and λ/2 dipole".
    Other than that I'm baffled too!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook