1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac delta and fourier transform

1. Mar 1, 2012 #1
    In my book the dirac delta is described by the equation on the attached picture. This realtion is derived from the fourier transform, but I'm not sure that I understand what it says. If u=t it is clear that one gets f(u) in the fourier inversion theorem. But why wouldn't u=t? In the derivation of the fourier transform from the discrete fourier series t was just changed to u in the expression of the coefficients to avoid confusion.
    Can anyone try to picture what this expression fundamentally says? I should suspect that it is like the analogue of the ortogonality relation of the discrete fourier series, but I can't quite understand it.
    And what would the situation u≠t represent?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What it is saying is that

[tex]\delta(t - u)[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\exp(-iu\omega)[/tex]

are a Fourier transform pair. A complex exponential with "frequency" equal to [itex]u[/itex] has a Fourier transform with all of its energy concentrated at [itex]u[/itex].

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  4. Mar 1, 2012 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

P.S. The equation

[tex]\delta(t - u) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp(i \omega(t-u) d\omega[/tex]

is mathematically nonrigorous. The integral on the right hand side does not actually exist for any values of [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex]. What is true is that if [itex]\mathcal{F}[/itex] denotes the Fourier transform operator, then

[tex]\mathcal{F}(\delta(t-u)) = \exp(-i\omega u)[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\delta(t-u) = \mathcal{F}^{-1}(\exp(-i\omega u))[/tex]

in the sense of distributions. See here for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribution_(mathematics)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook