1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of a vector (help with part c)

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A model sailboat is slowly sailing west across a pond at .33 m/s a gust of wind blowing at 28 degrees south of west gives the sailboat a constant acceleration of magnitude .30 m/s^2 during a time interval of 2.0 s (a) if the net force on the sailboat during the 2.0 s interval has magnitude .375 N, what is the sailboat's mass? (b) what is the new velocity of the boat after the 2.0-s gust of wind? (c) what is the new direction of the boat after the 2s gust of wind... ___ south of west.

2. Relevant equations
    f=ma
    vf=vo+at
    tan^-1=vy/vx

3. The attempt at a solution
    i have already determined a using f=ma .375 / .3 which is 1.25 kg

i have part b... by using vf= vo + at which is .930 m/s

but im very confused with c! i think that i should be using tan^-1 (Vy/Vx) but i have no idea what to plug in.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2
    Use superpostion. And ad the vectors up. One vector has a magnutiude of .33m/s @ 0 degrees. The second is the wind blowing on the boat then use your arctan to find the angle

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    what do you mean superposition? well i understand that cos(0)(.33) is .33, sin(0)(.33) is 0. and then i dont understand what to do with the 28 degrees

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4
    You are on the right path. The cos(0)*.33=.33 that gives you the x component of V1. Sin(0)*.33 gives you the y component of V1. Now take the magnutiude of V2 (.3) and break it down into its X & Y component using -28 degrees (its negative because it south aka below the x axis). The add the X component of V1 and V2 together and do the same for the Y component and uses those vaules to find the new direction.

6. Sep 20, 2009 #5
  7. Sep 20, 2009 #6
    that makes sense.. and i tried what you said but it is incorrect! any other ideas?
    i added .33 with .264 and 0 with -.1408 i took the arctan of (.594/-.1408) and got -76.66

8. Sep 20, 2009 #7
    try negative.33 and negative .3 since I would consider west negative x

9. Sep 20, 2009 #8
    that did not work either :( please help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook