Sailboat problem- components of acceleration

In summary, the problem involves a sailboat traveling east at 5.70 m/s and experiencing an acceleration of (0.800 m/s2, 33.0° north of east) due to a gust of wind. After 5.50 seconds, the boat's speed is found to be 11.79 m/s with a new direction of 22.8 degrees north of east.
shrutij
Sailboat problem-- components of acceleration

1. Homework Statement [/b]
A sailboat is traveling east at 5.70 m/s. A sudden gust of wind gives the boat an acceleration a=(0.800 m/s2,33.0° north of east). What is the boat's speed 5.50 s later when the gust subsides?
What is the boats new direction? as an angle (degrees north of east)

Homework Equations

v(t)=v0+a*t

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided the acceleration into its components, so ax= 0.8cos33 and ay= 0.8sin33 to give me the resultant acceleration to plug into the above formula. v(t)= 5.7 +(0.8cos33+0.8sin33)5.5 = 11.79 m/s, which is the wrong answer, but I'm not sure what I'm missing.
For the second question (what's its new direction), I used the y-component of the acceleration (0.8sin33) to find the the y component of velocity. So, vy=ay*t = 2.396 m/s.
I then used this to find the x and y position of the sailboat,
x= vx*t= 5.7 *5.5= 31.351 m east
y= vy*t= 2.396 * 5.5 = 13.18 north
I then used the tan-1 function to find the angle. So, tan-1 13.18/31.351 = 22.8 degrees north of east, which is also wrong.
Help please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

For the first part you can't simply add the velocitys because they are vectors. what to need to do is find the size of the resultant vector:

Vx=v(0)+v(x)*t Vy=v(y)*t

Use Pythagoras to get the size of the resultant:

V=(Vx^2+Vy^2)^1/2

For the second part you want the direction of travel so the angle you want is the angle of the resultant velocity:

arctan(Vy/Vx)

Got it, thanks!

1. What are the components of acceleration in a sailboat?

The components of acceleration in a sailboat are forward acceleration and turning acceleration. Forward acceleration is the rate at which the boat's speed increases or decreases, while turning acceleration is the rate at which the boat's direction changes.

2. How does the wind affect acceleration in a sailboat?

The wind plays a crucial role in acceleration in a sailboat. The wind provides the force that drives the boat forward, causing forward acceleration. It also creates a force that pushes against the sails, causing turning acceleration as the boat changes direction in response to the wind's force.

3. What role does the sail play in acceleration?

The sail is the main component that utilizes the wind's force to propel the sailboat forward. As the wind blows against the sail, it creates lift, which generates a force that pushes the boat forward. The sail also helps to create drag, which provides turning acceleration as the boat changes direction.

4. How does the shape of the hull affect acceleration in a sailboat?

The shape of the hull plays a significant role in acceleration in a sailboat. A streamlined hull reduces drag and allows the boat to move more efficiently through the water, resulting in increased forward acceleration. A wider hull can also provide stability, which can be beneficial in maintaining balance and reducing the impact of waves on the boat's speed.

5. What other factors can affect acceleration in a sailboat?

Other factors that can affect acceleration in a sailboat include the weight and distribution of cargo and passengers, the size and design of the sails, and the skill and experience of the sailor. The wind speed and direction, as well as the water conditions, can also impact acceleration in a sailboat.