Direction of acceleration and velocity.

In summary, the question asks about the direction of velocity and acceleration when an automobile is at the lowest point of its path on a smoothly curved surface. The car is pictured at the lowest point of a parabola. The attempt at a solution involves neglecting acceleration in the horizontal direction and choosing the option where the velocity vector is horizontal and in the direction of motion, while the acceleration is straight down due to gravity. The answer to this question will be available on Saturday.
Agent M27

Homework Statement

An automobile moves with constant speed down one hill and up another hill along a smoothly curved surface. In which direction will the velocity and acceleration of the car be when it is at its lowest point in its path?

The car is pictured at the lowest point of a parabola.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Being that this is Gen Physics 1, we are neglecting acceleration in the horizantal direction of motion so I choose the option which had the velocity vector as horizantal and in the direction of motion and I choose the acceleration which was straight down, due to gravity. I missed this question and the answers won't be up until Saturday, but I just can't wait to figure out where I went wrong in my analysis. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Disregard, I read incorrectly...

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. Velocity, on the other hand, is the rate of change of position over time. In simpler terms, acceleration measures how quickly an object's speed is changing, while velocity measures how fast and in what direction an object is moving.

How are acceleration and velocity related?

Acceleration and velocity are related through the derivative of position. Velocity is the first derivative of position, and acceleration is the second derivative of position. This means that acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and velocity is the rate of change of position.

What is positive acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object is speeding up in the direction of its motion. This means that the object's velocity and acceleration are in the same direction. For example, a car accelerating along a straight road has positive acceleration.

What is negative acceleration?

Negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, occurs when an object is slowing down in the direction of its motion. This means that the object's velocity and acceleration are in opposite directions. For example, a car braking to come to a stop has negative acceleration.

How does the direction of acceleration affect an object's motion?

The direction of acceleration can greatly affect an object's motion. If an object experiences constant acceleration in the same direction as its velocity, it will continue to speed up. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the velocity, the object will slow down. If the acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity, the object's path will change as it accelerates.