Determining Direction of Acceleration in Pulley Problems

In summary, in pulley problems, the direction of acceleration can be determined by comparing the components of weight along the direction of motion for each object. The side with the greater component of weight will accelerate in that direction. Another method is to pick a direction for the acceleration and assign it as positive, even if it is a direction commonly labeled as negative. If the resulting value for acceleration is negative, then the direction was chosen incorrectly. It is also helpful to set a sign convention for each coordinate in order to get all the signs right in the equations. If one object is on an incline, only a component of its weight will act along the direction of motion.
Balsam

Homework Statement

In pulley problems, how do you determine the direction of accelleration? My teacher said that acceleration is in the direction of the heavier mass or the steeper incline. Is this true? What if you had two objects of equal mass and only one was on an incline?

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know

Physics news on Phys.org
Balsam said:

Homework Statement

In pulley problems, how do you determine the direction of accelleration? My teacher said that acceleration is in the direction of the heavier mass or the steeper incline. Is this true?
Not really. One could be more massive, but on a gentler incline. Or there may be a pulley system involved which gives mechanical advantage to the lighter mass.
The real answer is that, if there is no friction, it doesn't matter. You can just assume a direction for the acceleration. As long as you are consistent, the equations will be valid. If you guessed wrong, you will get a negative value for the acceleration, which is fine.
With friction it's trickier. You don't know which way the friction will act until you know which way it would move without friction. If it is not obvious which way it would move, solve it ignoring friction first, then add in the friction.

Balsam said:
What if you had two objects of equal mass and only one was on an incline?
You can compare their components of weight along the direction of motion. Whichever is greater will determine the direction of the acceleration.

Even easier: Take a guess as to the direction of the acceleration. Then solve the problem. If your answer is positive, you guessed correct; if negative, you had it backwards.

Just calculate the net force in each direction of the pulley
Make sure to account for friction, gravity, and tension
The side with the most net force should be the side that the system accelerates towards

It's really helpful if you take into account the free-body diagrams of the objects in the system.
Just like how others responded by "guessing" the direction, if your guessed direction is negative then that just means that your direction is towards the opposite true direction of the acceleration.

Kaura said:
Just calculate the net force in each direction of the pulley
Make sure to account for friction, gravity, and tension
The side with the most net force should be the side that the system accelerates towards

The way my teacher makes us solve these problems is by calculating the net force of the system as a whole and then to solve for something like accelleration, you do F=ma, using the total mass and total net force. Are you supposed to solve for something like accelleration seperately for each mass or do all masses in a
Doc Al said:
You can compare their components of weight along the direction of motion. Whichever is greater will determine the direction of the acceleration.

Even easier: Take a guess as to the direction of the acceleration. Then solve the problem. If your answer is positive, you guessed correct; if negative, you had it backwards.

Is this because you're supposed to set the direction of accelleration as positive even if its a direction that's commonly labelled as negative(like west)?

Doc Al said:

Won't their components of weight be the same since their weight value is the same?

Balsam said:
Is this because you're supposed to set the direction of accelleration as positive even if its a direction that's commonly labelled as negative(like west)?
Not sure what you mean by that.
A good method is to pick a direction as positive for each coordinate. Up and right are the most common choices.
If there is a body that you expect to accelerate to the left, you nevertheless assign it an acceleration variable, a, as its acceleration to the right. In the end you will get a negative value for a.
The benefit of this method is that it helps in getting all the signs right in the equations.

Balsam said:
No (if I understand what you mean). What I mean is: Pick a direction for the acceleration and call its magnitude "a". You can apply your sign convention however you want. When you solve for "a" you'll find out whether you've picked the correct direction by its sign.

Balsam said:
Won't their components of weight be the same since their weight value is the same?
No, because one is on an incline: Only a component of its weight acts along the direction of motion.

haruspex said:
Not sure what you mean by that.
A good method is to pick a direction as positive for each coordinate. Up and right are the most common choices.
If there is a body that you expect to accelerate to the left, you nevertheless assign it an acceleration variable, a, as its acceleration to the right. In the end you will get a negative value for a.
The benefit of this method is that it helps in getting all the signs right in the equations.

My teacher said to assign the direction of acceleration as positive- so if
is the direction of acceleration, you would make it positive and make
negative, evern though it's usually the other way around​

Doc Al said:
No (if I understand what you mean). What I mean is: Pick a direction for the acceleration and call its magnitude "a". You can apply your sign convention however you want. When you solve for "a" you'll find out whether you've picked the correct direction by its sign.No, because one is on an incline: Only a component of its weight acts along the direction of motion.

So, if only one was on an incline, the object on the incline would have the greater component of weight? And if both masses are on an incline, the mass on the steeper slope would have the greater component of weight?

Balsam said:
So, if only one was on an incline, the object on the incline would have the greater component of weight? And if both masses are on an incline, the mass on the steeper slope would have the greater component of weight?
Yes, but as I posted this assumes a very simple arrangement, one in which if one mass moves the other is sure to move the same distance. If there is a system of pulleys in place this might not be the case.

Balsam said:
My teacher said to assign the direction of acceleration as positive- so if
is the direction of acceleration, you would make it positive and make
negative, evern though it's usually the other way around​
I feel there is some text missing in there... maybe some unprintable characters. Anyway, I can't decipher the meaning.

Balsam said:
So, if only one was on an incline, the object on the incline would have the greater component of weight?
Just the opposite.

Balsam said:
And if both masses are on an incline, the mass on the steeper slope would have the greater component of weight?
Right.

As far as figuring out the direction of acceleration, take heed of the advice given by haruspex: things can get complicated with systems of pulleys and friction. Nonetheless, you can always assume a direction for acceleration; the equations will tell you if you were correct.

Balsam said:
So, if only one was on an incline, the object on the incline would have the greater component of weight?
You may be puzzled that I confirmed that but @Doc Al contradicted me. For some reason, I took you to mean that the other was on the level, but Dr.A is probably right in assuming you meant the other was hanging freely.

Related to Determining Direction of Acceleration in Pulley Problems

1. What is the direction of acceleration?

The direction of acceleration is the direction in which an object's velocity is changing. It can be in the same direction as the object's motion, in the opposite direction, or at an angle to the object's motion.

2. How is the direction of acceleration determined?

The direction of acceleration is determined by the net force acting on an object. If the net force is in the same direction as the object's motion, then the acceleration will also be in that direction. If the net force is in the opposite direction, the acceleration will be in the opposite direction.

3. Can an object have a changing direction of acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a changing direction of acceleration if the net force acting on it is changing. For example, if an object is moving in a circular path, the direction of its acceleration will constantly change as it moves around the circle.

4. How does the direction of acceleration affect an object's motion?

The direction of acceleration can affect an object's motion in several ways. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the object's motion, it will cause the object to speed up. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, it will cause the object to slow down. If the acceleration is at an angle to the object's motion, it will cause the object to change direction.

5. What is the relationship between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration and velocity are closely related. Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity, so any change in acceleration will result in a change in velocity. If the acceleration is constant, the velocity will change at a constant rate. If the acceleration is changing, the velocity will change at a changing rate.