Direction of cartesian equation

In summary, the conversation is discussing a question about visualizing 90 degree angles in 3D space on a 2D plane. It is explained that the angles may appear skewed because they are being represented on a 2D surface. The method used to illustrate the angles involves drawing perpendicular lines and using cosine(angle) = adjacent (axis) divided by magnitude (vector). The person asking the question still does not understand and asks for a simpler explanation. It is then clarified that the angles are not in a plane triangle, but rather in three planes that are parallel and perpendicular to each other. It is suggested to use a piece of paper to replicate the drawings and view them at different angles.
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

In this question, I didn't see why the given 90 degree is 90 degree becoz it doesn't look like 90 degree. Can someone draw me a better diagram? It's hard to visualize it's 90 degree

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20150910_233254.jpg
    IMG_20150910_233254.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_20150910_233322.jpg
    IMG_20150910_233322.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 344
Physics news on Phys.org
Well it's trying to represent an angle measured in a 2D plane in 3D space on a 2D piece of paper. So it will always look skewed when the plane is not the same as the plane of the paper.

They are trying to illustrate the 90 degree angles in 3D space. A common way to visualize this is to subractthe Z component, and you will clearly see the right angles in the x-y plane.

The angles are 90 degrees by definition. You should not question it just because when it is illustrated at a skew angle it doesn't look like the square angle you are used to.

The method being used is one that involves drawing a perpendicular line from the end of A to whichever axis you are interested in. Since your new coordinates are defined with angles to the vector A from a given axis, the definitions are given in terms of cosine(angle) = adjacent (axis) divided by magnitude (vector).

RUber said:
They are trying to illustrate the 90 degree angles in 3D space. A common way to visualize this is to subractthe Z component, and you will clearly see the right angles in the x-y plane.

The angles are 90 degrees by definition. You should not question it just because when it is illustrated at a skew angle it doesn't look like the square angle you are used to.

The method being used is one that involves drawing a perpendicular line from the end of A to whichever axis you are interested in. Since your new coordinates are defined with angles to the vector A from a given axis, the definitions are given in terms of cosine(angle) = adjacent (axis) divided by magnitude (vector).
well , i still don't understand . take an example , alpha already more than 90 degree. How can the other angle be 90 degree? Can you explain in other words , so that i can understand better ?

goldfish9776 said:
well , i still don't understand . take an example , alpha already more than 90 degree. How can the other angle be 90 degree? Can you explain in other words , so that i can understand better ?
How do you know alpha is more than 90° ? Remember, these are not plane triangles you are looking at. They are triangles in three dimensions which are drawn on a two-dimensional page.

A better way to look at these diagrams is to imagine that the right angles are showing that there are three planes which are parallel to the x-y plane, the y-z plane and the x-z plane and which are also perpendicular to one another.

I suggest you cut a corner off a piece of paper and view it at different angles to replicate the drawing views.

Likes goldfish9776

1. What is a cartesian equation?

A cartesian equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between two or more variables on a cartesian plane. It is written in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you graph a cartesian equation?

To graph a cartesian equation, you need to plot points on a cartesian plane based on the given equation. You can do this by substituting different values for x and solving for y. Once you have a few points, you can connect them to create a line that represents the equation.

3. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear cartesian equation?

A linear cartesian equation is one that can be written in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. A non-linear cartesian equation is any equation that cannot be written in this form, such as a quadratic or exponential equation.

4. Can a cartesian equation have more than two variables?

Yes, a cartesian equation can have more than two variables. In fact, a cartesian equation can have as many variables as needed to describe the relationship between them. However, when graphing a cartesian equation on a two-dimensional plane, only two variables can be represented.

5. How can I determine the direction of a cartesian equation?

The direction of a cartesian equation can be determined by looking at the slope of the line it represents. If the slope is positive, the line will be increasing from left to right. If the slope is negative, the line will be decreasing from left to right. If the slope is zero, the line will be horizontal. Additionally, the direction can also be determined by looking at the coefficients of the variables and their exponents in non-linear equations.