Direction of Compass Needle near a Solenoid

In summary: Yes, the compass needle points towards the North pole generated by the solenoid because the magnetic field is equal to that of Earth's.
aadarsh9
uploadfromtaptalk1393686771426.jpg

A compass is placed near a solenoid. It is closer to the North pole generated by the coil. The magnetic north is 90 deg relative to the compass and the solenoid. The strength of the solenoid is equal to the strength of the magnetic north. In which direction will the compass needle point?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi aadarsh9! welcome to pf! :wink:

tell us what you think, and why (with full explanation), and then we'll comment! :smile:

Since the current is from X to Y, a north pole will be induced near the compass. I would say that the compass needle will point towards the solenoid but it says that the field strength is equal to that of Earth's magnetic field. I can only eliminate answer D. Then, I am lost. The answer is A according to the book.

One component to the right and another one upwards. Is the answer C?

aadarsh9 said:
One component to the right and another one upwards. Is the answer C?

i'm confused:

C is to the left and upwards …

which one do you mean? :confused:

Sorry, its one component to the left and another one upwards. Is it C?

Th book says A :(

What you need to know is that th Earth's magnet has its S pole at the North pole. Thus, the needle of a compass has its N side pointing North (approximately).

Use that fact and I think you'll see why the answer is indeed A (compass needle points NE).

(just got up :zzz:)
rude man said:
What you need to know is that th Earth's magnet has its S pole at the North pole.

yes! :biggrin:

aadarsh9, do you understand why that is so?

Thanks tiny-tim and rude man. I understood it!

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that carries an electric current, producing a magnetic field. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as speakers, motors, and transformers.

2. How does a solenoid affect the direction of a compass needle?

A solenoid's magnetic field can influence the direction of a compass needle. When an electric current flows through the solenoid, it creates a magnetic field that can either attract or repel the compass needle, depending on the direction of the current.

3. Why does the compass needle point in a certain direction near a solenoid?

The direction of the compass needle near a solenoid is determined by the direction of the magnetic field created by the solenoid. If the solenoid's magnetic field is aligned with the Earth's magnetic field, the compass needle will point in the same direction. If the two magnetic fields are opposite, the compass needle will point in the opposite direction.

4. Can the direction of the solenoid affect the direction of the compass needle?

Yes, the direction of the solenoid can affect the direction of the compass needle. If the current in the solenoid is reversed, the direction of the magnetic field will also reverse, causing the compass needle to point in the opposite direction.

5. Is the direction of the compass needle always affected by a solenoid?

The direction of the compass needle will only be affected by a solenoid if there is an electric current flowing through the solenoid. If there is no current, the solenoid will not produce a magnetic field and therefore will not affect the direction of the compass needle.