1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of current in a magnetic field when loop is square

1. Nov 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A flexible wire loop has a radius of r = 0.178 m and it is inside a uniform magnetic field of B = 0.332 T. The loop is grasped at points P and Q and stretched until its area is zero. It takes 0.146 s to close the loop.
    LVhb6v1.png

2. Relevant equations
    EMF = ∆Phi/∆t
    Phi = magnetic flux

3. The attempt at a solution
    Used the formula above.

So where is current induced? In the wire? Due to the change in magnetic field then? Or magnetic flux? How do I find its direction... I mean, I know if you have magnetic field, then you use right hand rule, right? Anyway, how do I find direction here?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2015 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The same thing happens when a loop rotates in a magnetic field - the exposed area to the constant magnetic field changes, although the amount of turns in the coil stays the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted