1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of Induced EMF (Faradays Law) Confusion

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See figure attached.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If we attempt to solve part a) in this question we encounter several confusions.

If we assume i(t) to be a positive current, the magnetic flux will flow through the core in a counter clockwise direction.

How are we supposed to deduce the direction of the induced voltage,

[tex]e_{ind}[/tex]

?

If you tell me whether or not i(t) is increasing or decreasing or remaning constant I can then tell you how eind relates to v.

Are we just supposed to assume it is either increasing or decreasing? If so, the relation to v to eind will have a sign difference in each case.

Assume i(t) is increasing,

[tex]e_{ind} = -v = -\frac{d\psi}{dt}[/tex]

Assume i(t) is decreasing,

[tex]e_{ind} = v = -\frac{d\psi}{dt}[/tex]

As you can, depending on which case I assume, my expression of v will change by a negative sign.

This will affect the answer in part b).

How do we know which one to choose?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2011 #2
    Looking at the picture, I take the up arrow to indicate positive current, an increasing current causes the polarity as indicated in the coil N2? So for part b increasing current leads to positive voltage? Any others?

4. Dec 9, 2011 #3
    Thus,

[tex]e_{ind} = v = -\frac{d\psi}{dt} = -\frac{250\mu_{0}N_{1}N_{2}d^{2}}{a}\frac{di(t)}{dt}[/tex]

Why does my expression for v turn out to be negative while theirs is positive?

I was told that the expression for eind is always,

[tex]e_{ind} = -\frac{d\psi}{dt}[/tex]

I agree that the positive induced current, if i(t) is increasing, will flow from the positive terminal of v to the negative terminal of v.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook