Direction of magnetic field and physics principle?

In summary, The problem involves a proton traveling at a speed of 3.00*10^6 m/s north through a magnetic field and experiencing a force of 1.50*10^-14N up. The magnetic field is found to be 3.13*10^-2T and the direction can be determined using the right hand rule. The physics principle involved is the relationship between force, velocity, and magnetic field described by the equation Fm=qvB.
A123

Homework Statement

A proton traveling at a speed of 3.00*10^6 m/s north through a magnetic field experiences a force of 1.50*10^-14N up. What is the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field? Include the physics principle

Homework Equations

Fm=qvB[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for a B of 3.13*10^-2T but my problem lies in applying the hand rules to find the direction of the field. Which of the directions, north or up would be referring to the piece of paper that the question is on? And would the physics principle be unbalanced forces?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, A123. Welcome to PF!

I guess you are meant to assume that the magnetic field is perpendicular to the velocity of the proton. Otherwise, there are an infinite number of possible answers to the question. (Why?)

With that assumption, you can answer the question. You don't need to worry about "referring to the piece of paper that the question is on". Imagine that you go outside and that you face north. Since the proton is traveling north, you can think of the proton as moving away from you parallel to the ground. The force is "up", which means that the force points vertically upward (perpendicular to the ground). You should be able to use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the field.

I'm not sure what is meant by "include the physics principle".

TSny said:
Hello, A123. Welcome to PF!

I guess you are meant to assume that the magnetic field is perpendicular to the velocity of the proton. Otherwise, there are an infinite number of possible answers to the question. (Why?)

With that assumption, you can answer the question. You don't need to worry about "referring to the piece of paper that the question is on". Imagine that you go outside and that you face north. Since the proton is traveling north, you can think of the proton as moving away from you parallel to the ground. The force is "up", which means that the force points vertically upward (perpendicular to the ground). You should be able to use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the field.

I'm not sure what is meant by "include the physics principle".
Thanks that makes sense. I just overthought it way to much

1. What is the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field is defined as the direction in which a north magnetic pole would be pushed by a force acting on it. This direction is always from north to south, forming a closed loop around the magnet.

2. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined?

The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the right hand rule. This rule states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow, then the direction of your curled fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

3. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect a charged particle?

The direction of the magnetic field affects a charged particle by exerting a force on it. The force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the particle's motion. This force causes the particle to move in a circular path around the magnetic field lines.

4. What is the relationship between the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the electric current?

The direction of the magnetic field is always at right angles to the direction of the electric current. This means that if the current is flowing in a straight line, the magnetic field will form a circular path around it. Similarly, if the current is flowing in a circular path, the magnetic field will be aligned with the direction of the current.

5. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the behavior of a magnetic material?

The direction of the magnetic field can determine the alignment of the magnetic domains within a material. When the magnetic field is applied in the same direction as the alignment of the domains, the material becomes magnetized and exhibits magnetic properties. On the other hand, when the magnetic field is applied in the opposite direction, it can demagnetize the material.