1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of Magnetic Field of a Parallel Conducting Wire

1. Apr 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two long, straight, parallel wires carry currents that are directed perpendicular to the page as shown in Figure P30.9. Wire 1 carries a current I1 into the page (in the negative z direction) and passesthrough the x axis at x a. Wire 2 passes through the x axis at x 5 22a and carries an unknown current I 2. The total magnetic field at the origin due to the current-carrying wires has the magnitude 2uI1/(2pia). The current I 2 can have either of two possible values. (a) Find the value of I 2 with the smaller magnitude, stating it in terms of I 1 and giving its direction. (b) Find the other possible value of I 2.

Diagram is attached as well as the solution.
    2. Relevant equations
    B = uI1/(2pia)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand how to do the question but determining the direction of the magnetic field due to I2. I1 is directed into the page (+j). They get the answer to (a) as +j as well but they said the direction of the magnetic field is out of the page, why?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2015 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You misread the answer to the problem.
    They said I2 is into or out of the page, not any B field.

4. Apr 20, 2015 #3
    Yeah I understand that it can be into or out of the page, but for the answer to (a) they said I2=2i1 (out of the page), why is that?

5. Apr 20, 2015 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You said they said the B field is out of the page.
    They did'nt.

6. Apr 20, 2015 #5
    I meant the current not the magnetic field, sorry it was a mistake! Why is I2 in (a) out of the page if it's in the +j direction?

7. Apr 20, 2015 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Show me where it says I2 is in the j direction.
    I do find it unfortunate that in a couple of places in the solution set an equation is written with a vector on one side and a scalar on the other. Poor form!

8. Apr 20, 2015 #7
    If you look at the 2nd picture, where it says (a), the second line after that!

9. Apr 21, 2015 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

2nd line after (a) says B2 is in the j direction, which is right.
    Last line says I2 is out of the paper, which is also right.
    Your turn.

30-9-solution-png.82295.png

10. Apr 21, 2015 #9
    my question is why is I2 out of the paper?

11. Apr 21, 2015 #10

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What, specifically, is your problem with the given answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted