Direction of Magnetic Field of a Parallel Conducting Wire

In summary: I don't really have a problem with it, I'm just curious.I don't really have a problem with it, I'm just curious.
sugz

Homework Statement

Two long, straight, parallel wires carry currents that are directed perpendicular to the page as shown in Figure P30.9. Wire 1 carries a current I1 into the page (in the negative z direction) and passesthrough the x-axis at x a. Wire 2 passes through the x-axis at x 5 22a and carries an unknown current I 2. The total magnetic field at the origin due to the current-carrying wires has the magnitude 2uI1/(2pia). The current I 2 can have either of two possible values. (a) Find the value of I 2 with the smaller magnitude, stating it in terms of I 1 and giving its direction. (b) Find the other possible value of I 2.

Diagram is attached as well as the solution.

Homework Equations

B = uI1/(2pia)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to do the question but determining the direction of the magnetic field due to I2. I1 is directed into the page (+j). They get the answer to (a) as +j as well but they said the direction of the magnetic field is out of the page, why?

Attachments

• 30.9.PNG
    30.9.PNG
    1.5 KB · Views: 1,819
  • 30.9 solution.PNG
    30.9 solution.PNG
    20 KB · Views: 3,354
Physics news on Phys.org
sugz said:

Homework Statement

Two long, straight, parallel wires carry currents that are directed perpendicular to the page as shown in Figure P30.9. Wire 1 carries a current I1 into the page (in the negative z direction) and passesthrough the x-axis at x a. Wire 2 passes through the x-axis at x 5 22a and carries an unknown current I 2. The total magnetic field at the origin due to the current-carrying wires has the magnitude 2uI1/(2pia). The current I 2 can have either of two possible values. (a) Find the value of I 2 with the smaller magnitude, stating it in terms of I 1 and giving its direction. (b) Find the other possible value of I 2.

Diagram is attached as well as the solution.

Homework Equations

B = uI1/(2pia)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to do the question but determining the direction of the magnetic field due to I2. I1 is directed into the page (+j). They get the answer to (a) as +j as well but they said the direction of the magnetic field is out of the page, why?
You misread the answer to the problem.
They said I2 is into or out of the page, not any B field.

Yeah I understand that it can be into or out of the page, but for the answer to (a) they said I2=2i1 (out of the page), why is that?

sugz said:
Yeah I understand that it can be into or out of the page, but for the answer to (a) they said I2=2i1 (out of the page), why is that?
You said they said the B field is out of the page.
They did'nt.

I meant the current not the magnetic field, sorry it was a mistake! Why is I2 in (a) out of the page if it's in the +j direction?

sugz said:
I meant the current not the magnetic field, sorry it was a mistake! Why is I2 in (a) out of the page if it's in the +j direction?
Show me where it says I2 is in the j direction.
I do find it unfortunate that in a couple of places in the solution set an equation is written with a vector on one side and a scalar on the other. Poor form!

If you look at the 2nd picture, where it says (a), the second line after that!

sugz said:
If you look at the 2nd picture, where it says (a), the second line after that!
2nd line after (a) says B2 is in the j direction, which is right.
Last line says I2 is out of the paper, which is also right.
Your turn.
30-9-solution-png.82295.png

my question is why is I2 out of the paper?

sugz said:
my question is why is I2 out of the paper?
What, specifically, is your problem with the given answer?

What is the direction of the magnetic field around a parallel conducting wire?

The direction of the magnetic field around a parallel conducting wire is circular, with the field lines forming concentric circles around the wire.

How is the direction of the magnetic field affected by the direction of the current in the wire?

The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current in the wire. The right hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field, with the thumb pointing in the direction of the current and the fingers curling in the direction of the field.

Does the distance from the wire affect the direction of the magnetic field?

No, the direction of the magnetic field is not affected by the distance from the wire. However, the strength of the magnetic field decreases as the distance from the wire increases.

Can the direction of the magnetic field be reversed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be reversed by reversing the direction of the current in the wire. This means that the field lines will now form concentric circles in the opposite direction around the wire.

Are there any other factors that can affect the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field can also be affected by the presence of other magnetic fields or conductors nearby. The direction of the field can be altered or distorted depending on the strength and orientation of these external fields.