Direction of tension of metal rod

In summary, the direction of tension in a rope or metal rod will always be downward because the object pulling on the rope or metal rod will experience an upward reaction force from the support, in accordance with Newton's Third Law.
werson tan

Homework Statement

the metal rod is supported by another metal rod at one end . The metal rod is supported by another metal rod at the end. so , the direction of tension of metal rod is acted upward , right ?( this is the initial prediction) But , i was told that the tension that we get from calculation will always be acted downwards , which is correct ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 99.png
    99.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
werson tan said:

Homework Statement

the metal rod is supported by another metal rod at one end . The metal rod is supported by another metal rod at the end. so , the direction of tension of metal rod is acted upward , right ?( this is the initial prediction) But , i was told that the tension that we get from calculation will always be acted downwards , which is correct ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Your diagrams on this and prior posts make no sense whatsoever. If you are wondering about the direction of tension forces , they always are pulling forces, not pushing forces. So if a rope or tension member pulls upward on a pin support, the pin support must pull downward on that rope or member, per Newton 3rd law.

Likes werson tan
PhanthomJay said:
Your diagrams on this and prior posts make no sense whatsoever. If you are wondering about the direction of tension forces , they always are pulling forces, not pushing forces. So if a rope or tension member pulls upward on a pin support, the pin support must pull downward on that rope or member, per Newton 3rd law.
Yes, I am thinking about the direction of tension of rope /metal rod. So in both cases that I asked earlier, the direction of tension of metal rod / rope should be in doenward direction, as opposed to the pin support that push against the metal rod / rope (in

PhanthomJay said:
Yes, I am thinking about the direction of tension of rope or metal rod. So, the direction of tension of rope/metal rod will always be in the downward direction as in the both cases I have asked earlier? This is becoz of the pin support pull against the rope/ metal rod?(in upward direction) So, the reaction of this (tension of rope/ metal rod) will acts in downward direction?

werson tan said:
Yes, I am thinking about the direction of tension of rope or metal rod. So, the direction of tension of rope/metal rod will always be in the downward direction as in the both cases I have asked earlier? This is becoz of the pin support pull against the rope/ metal rod?(in upward direction) So, the reaction of this (tension of rope/ metal rod) will acts in downward direction?
werson tan said:

?

werson tan said:
Suppose you fasten a rope to a support on the floor. Then you pull upward on the rope to place it in tension. At the top of the rope, your hand exerts an upward force on the rope, and the rope exerts a downward force on your hand. At the bottom of the rope, the rope exerts an upward force on the support, and the support exerts a downward force ( the so called reaction force) on the rope.

1. What is the direction of tension in a metal rod?

The direction of tension in a metal rod is along its length, from one end to the other. This means that the force applied to the rod is pulling on both ends, causing it to elongate in the same direction as the force.

2. How does the direction of tension affect the strength of a metal rod?

The direction of tension can greatly affect the strength of a metal rod. When the force is applied along the length of the rod, it is better able to resist the pulling force and is less likely to break. However, if the force is applied perpendicular to the length of the rod, it is more likely to bend or break.

3. Can the direction of tension be changed in a metal rod?

Yes, the direction of tension in a metal rod can be changed. This can be done by applying a bending force to the rod, causing it to bend and change the direction of the tension. It can also be changed by changing the orientation of the rod, such as rotating it.

4. How does the direction of tension affect the behavior of a metal rod under stress?

The direction of tension can greatly affect the behavior of a metal rod under stress. When the force is applied along the length of the rod, it is better able to distribute the stress and is less likely to fail. However, if the force is applied perpendicular to the length of the rod, it can create weak points and cause the rod to fail more easily.

5. Why is it important to consider the direction of tension in a metal rod?

Considering the direction of tension in a metal rod is important because it can greatly affect its strength and behavior. If the direction of tension is not taken into account, it can lead to structural failures and safety hazards. It is also important in designing and engineering structures where metal rods are used, to ensure they can withstand the forces they will be subjected to.