Direction of Tension on Metal Rod by Cable

In summary, the conversation is discussing the direction of tension in a metal rod that is held by a cable and supported by a pin at the bottom. The question at hand is why the direction of tension in the cable is downwards. There is some confusion about the problem statement and the diagram, but it is speculated that the cable is pinned at the bottom and able to rotate in a 180 degree plane.
werson tan

Homework Statement

Let's say the metal rod is held by a cable and supported by a pin at the bottom, the reaction of thr cable is acted downwards... Why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• sketch-1445232764723.jpg
    sketch-1445232764723.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if the problem statement "should" have said:"Let's say the metal rod is hanging by a cable and pinned at the bottom, the reaction of the cable is downwards..."?? If so, your diagram is all wrong. (by "pinned", I mean bolted into some fixture where it is free to rotate in one plane through 180° (forward parallel to flat horizontal ground -- to straight up (90°) -- to backward parallel to ground).) This is just a guess since imho the problem statement isn't clear enough to answer unambiguously.

ogg said:
I wonder if the problem statement "should" have said:"Let's say the metal rod is hanging by a cable and pinned at the bottom, the reaction of the cable is downwards..."?? If so, your diagram is all wrong. (by "pinned", I mean bolted into some fixture where it is free to rotate in one plane through 180° (forward parallel to flat horizontal ground -- to straight up (90°) -- to backward parallel to ground).) This is just a guess since imho the problem statement isn't clear enough to answer unambiguously.
i mean the horizontal metal rod id held by a cable , the cable is supported by the pin on the ground . My question is why the direction of tension of cable is in downward direction ?

1. What is tension in a metal rod?

Tension in a metal rod refers to the force applied to the rod in opposite directions, causing it to stretch and become longer.

2. How does a cable affect the direction of tension on a metal rod?

A cable attached to a metal rod will pull on the rod in the direction of the cable, creating tension along the length of the rod in that direction.

3. Can tension on a metal rod be in multiple directions?

Yes, tension on a metal rod can be in multiple directions if there are multiple cables pulling on the rod from different angles.

4. What factors can affect the direction of tension on a metal rod?

The direction of tension on a metal rod can be affected by the angle and position of the cable, as well as the strength and stiffness of the rod itself.

5. How is the direction of tension on a metal rod determined?

The direction of tension on a metal rod can be determined by analyzing the forces acting on the rod and the angles at which they are pulling. This can be done using vector analysis or through experimental testing.