1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction problem; find angle to shortest path with wind

1. May 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pilot must travel directly to a town 500 miles away in a directions 20 degrees east of south from her present position. There is a steady 40 mph wind blowing west to east. Her plane's cruising speed through calm air is 95 mph. Using vector, what must be the plane's heading.

2. Relevant equations
    tan-1(Ay/Ax) = angle of vector A.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Vp/e = 95 mph south
    Va/e = 40 mph east
    Add vectors to get Vp/a = -95i + 40j → |Vp/a| = 103.078 mph
    Angle of Vp/a = tan-1(-95/40) = -67.2 degrees from...east? so 67.2 south of east.

I feel like this is pretty far off, because I do anything with the fact the town is 500 miles away and 20 degrees east from south. Please help if you can :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi caveman127! welcome to pf! :smile:
    no, Vp/a = 95 mph

(and where did you get south from?)

4. May 19, 2013 #3
    You might start by drawing a somewhat scaled vector diagram of this situation and you will see that 67.2 S of East is wrong. Also, I think that 103.078 is incorrect also. Once you get a good diagam, this is a trig problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted