1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Disc Method Finding Volume Trig Function

1. Jan 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the region of the x-y plane between the line y=7, the curve y=3sin(x)+4 , and for
    -pi/2<x<3pi/2

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving this region about the line y=7.

I know that for this problem, I will be using the disk method (as the title states). I drew the graph and I find that there are two areas and since the graph is symmetric, the two areas are equal.

A picture of the graph is here: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=+the+curve+7=3*sin(x)+4+between+-pi/2<x<3pi/2

I know I must find the area of a slice. I am just not exactly sure how to find it. I know the equation for the area is A(x) = pi*r(x)^2

And then, you need to find the limits of integration and with those limits, the volume will be:

Volume = ∫ from a to b of pi*A(x)

Any help would be greatly appreciated ! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2013 #2
    Obviously, I just need to find out what r(x) is and figure out if I should integrate with respect to x or y.

4. Jan 13, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not exactly. The area of interest is above the curve, so they're not so much equal as, in a sense, complementary.
    Anyway, finding the area of regions in this graph won't help you.
    Yes.
    Can you visualise the rotation about y=7?
    r(x) is the distance between two y values at x. What two y values?

5. Jan 13, 2013 #4
    Yes. I visualize it being rotated, forming discs about the line y=7.

Is it the distance between y=3sin(x)+4 and y=7?

(3sin(x) + 4) - 7 = 3sin(x) -3 = r(x) ??

6. Jan 13, 2013 #5
    Actually, I just figured it out :). I got 27pi^2 after integrating from -pi/2 to 3pi/2 of (3sin(x)-3)^2 dx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook