Discharging Capacitor: Differential Equation in terms of Vs, C, R

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tekneek
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Capacitor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Tekneek
Messages
70
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The voltage across the capacitor is 10V when t<0
The switch is closed at t=0

I have to find the diff eq. in terms of Vs, C, R by balancing the current at node Vc(t). But i am not sure whether the Vs is 0 or 10V at t<0

The Attempt at a Solution



I am assuming Vs = 0 at t<0 since the voltage across capacitor is 10V. Also, I am not sure what current balance at the node means...I mean when the switch is closed the current through the capacitor is the same as current through the resistor. So,

iR = iC
(Vc/R) = C (dVc/dt)

How do i write this in term of Vs? Isn't the current through the resistor Vc/R since Vs is 0 at the beginning?
 
Attachments
  • rc.jpg
    rc.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "I am assuming Vs=0...". I think you mean that you are assuming that the voltage at the negative end of Vs is zero - which would be a fine assumption. It doesn't really matter what point you take as your "ground" or zero voltage level.

If you take Vs- as zero, then obviously Vs+ will be "Vs" and Vc(0) will be at (Vs-10v). Or, perhaps, (Vs+10V), since the polarity of the voltage across the capacitor is not explicitly specified.
 
The voltage across the capacitor is 10V when t<0
Are you sure this is what it says--"across the capacitor"? Can you quote precisely the wording of the question?
 
You have to specify the polarity of the 10V across C before proceeding with the problem. It could be +10V or -10V.

Since the source is not mentioned in the problem statement you should asume it stays at +10V for all time -infinity to +infinity.