Find di/dt and dr/dt for a DC circuit with indepedent current source

In summary, you found the current through the resistor to be 0 at t=0+ and you are not sure how to find di/dt and dr/dt.
Xhendos
Homework Statement
For the circuit in Fig. 8.7, find: (a) i L (0 + ), v C (0 + ), v R (0 + ),
(b) di L (0 + )∕dt, dv C (0 + )∕dt, dv R (0 + )∕dt, (c) i L (∞), v C (∞), v R (∞).
Relevant Equations
I = C dv/dt
V = L di/dt
Dear PF,

I am trying to solve practice problem 8.2. I am stuggling with part B of the question which asks us to find diL(0+)/dt, dvC(0+)/dt and dvR(0+)/dt.
2021-01-23-123306_909x406_scrot.png
My attempt can be seen below. Before t=0 the 4A current source is not present and thus it is an open circuit. A capacitor acts as an open circuit to DC and an inductor acts as a short circuit to steady-state DC conditions and thus that is why schematic for part A of the question looks like that. Using this schematic I find that iL = -6A and both vC and vR are 0V. This matches the answer of the book.

However, for part B of the question, I did manage to find dv/dt by using KCL at node A and B and using the fact that the inductor cannot change its current abruptly, so for t = 0+ the inductor current is still -6A.
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-23 at 12.19.37.jpeg

However, I am not quite sure how I can find di/dt and dr/dt. Can anyone give me a little hint here? I am stuck on this for quite a while.

Attachments

• 2021-01-23-110406_898x341_scrot.png
    2021-01-23-110406_898x341_scrot.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 279
Physics news on Phys.org
Xhendos said:
the inductor cannot change its current abruptly, so for t = 0+ the inductor current is still -6A.
so what does that say about the (initial) ##\displaystyle {di_L\over dt} ## ?

Likes Xhendos
BvU said:
so what does that say about the (initial) ##\displaystyle {di_L\over dt} ## ?
Right! Since the current iL does not change between interval 0- and 0+ the derivative at that point in time is 0! You are right. How about the resistor? Can we proof that current iR is 0 such that there is no potential voltage across the resistor its derivative and no current flows at t=0+ through the resistor?

Xhendos said:
there is no potential voltage across the resistor its derivative and no current flows at t=0+ through the resistor?
You found ##V_R(0^+)## in part (a). For the current the capacitor can swallow at ##t=0^+## there is (only theoretically) no limit: the current source is supposedly ideal and pumps in 4A, thereby determining ##\displaystyle {{dV_C\over dt} \left (0^+\right )}## according to what you said yourself:
Xhendos said:
1611442195524.png
The righthand side of the circuit doesn't interfere with this (the inductor does not like sudden changes in current).

But now comes the hard bit: ## \displaystyle {{dV_R\over dt}\left (0^+\right )}##.
Charles' book answer is 0. What do you think :smile: ?

Xhendos said:
1611443745557.png
This assumption is indeed necessary.
But, different from 8.1, I don't see it in the problem statement :rolleyes:...

1. What is the formula for finding di/dt in a DC circuit with an independent current source?

The formula for finding di/dt in a DC circuit with an independent current source is: di/dt = 0, since the current in a DC circuit with an independent current source remains constant over time.

2. How do you calculate dr/dt in a DC circuit with an independent current source?

The formula for calculating dr/dt in a DC circuit with an independent current source is: dr/dt = 0, since the resistance in a DC circuit with an independent current source also remains constant over time.

3. Can di/dt and dr/dt ever be non-zero in a DC circuit with an independent current source?

No, di/dt and dr/dt will always be zero in a DC circuit with an independent current source because the current and resistance do not change over time.

4. What is the significance of finding di/dt and dr/dt in a DC circuit with an independent current source?

Finding di/dt and dr/dt in a DC circuit with an independent current source can help us understand and analyze the behavior of the circuit. It can also be useful in troubleshooting any issues that may arise.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect di/dt and dr/dt in a DC circuit with an independent current source?

No, in a DC circuit with an independent current source, di/dt and dr/dt will always be zero regardless of any other factors such as voltage or capacitance. This is because the current and resistance remain constant in this type of circuit.