Discover the Intelligence of Extra Smart Parrots on BBC News | Science & Nature

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a highly intelligent African Grey parrot named N'kisi who is able to communicate and engage in conversations with humans. The conversation also mentioned another parrot, Charlie, who was known for speaking multiple languages. The participants of the conversation expressed amazement and fascination at the abilities of these birds.
Biology news on Phys.org
i think i'v read about this on this forum a while ago.

decibel said:
i think i'v read about this on this forum a while ago.

I hope so, it would be interesting to see what others had to say!
Please see if you can find the post, decibel.

I made a search with keyword "parrot" but failed to come up with any PF posts about this parrot. You might want to give it a shot yourself

Last edited:
Thank you, Marcus. I had not seen that article. I have heard though that African Greys are amazingly bright and can string together sentences quite easily.

By the way have you ever heard of the book "Charlie's World: The Improbable Adventures of a Hong Kong Cockatoo and His American Family"? Charlie was an amazing bird who reportedly spoke several languages, including Chinese, English, Spanish and Crow! His story is quite fascinating. I have only read an article about him in the Houston Post newspaper but I am hoping to eventually read this book and learn more about his life.

I found another article about N'kisi the parrot.
http://www.animalsentience.com/news/2004-01-26.htm
It blows me away that this conversation took place between a person and a bird.

N'Kisi: "Remember, we went in a car"
Aimee: "Yes! Did you like it?"
N'Kisi: "I like that - want to go out in the car"
Aimee: "We can't, wo don't have a car now"
N'Kisi: "Wanna go in a car right now"
Aimee: "I'm sorry, we can't right now - maybe we can go again later"
N'kisi: "Why can't I go in a car now?"
Aimee: "Because we don't have one"
N'kisi: "Let's get a car"
Aimee: "No Kisi, we can't get a car now"
N'kisi: "I want a car"
Aimee: "I'm sorry, baby, not today"
N'kisi: "Hurry up, want to go in a car. Remember? We were in a car"

Last edited by a moderator:
I want feathers.
I want to fly.
why can't I fly?

Math Is Hard said:
Thank you, Marcus. I had not seen that article. I have heard though that African Greys are amazingly bright and can string together sentences quite easily.

By the way have you ever heard of the book "Charlie's World: The Improbable Adventures of a Hong Kong Cockatoo and His American Family"? Charlie was an amazing bird who reportedly spoke several languages, including Chinese, English, Spanish and Crow! His story is quite fascinating. I have only read an article about him in the Houston Post newspaper but I am hoping to eventually read this book and learn more about his life.

Whahahahahahaha a cockatoo speaking crow! :surprise: :-p
Hillarious!

What is an Extra Smart Parrot?

An Extra Smart Parrot is a type of parrot that has been genetically modified or selectively bred to have enhanced cognitive abilities, such as problem-solving skills, communication skills, and memory.

What makes an Extra Smart Parrot different from a regular parrot?

An Extra Smart Parrot has been specifically bred or genetically modified to have higher intelligence and cognitive abilities compared to a regular parrot. This allows them to learn and perform more complex tasks and interactions with their environment and humans.

How are Extra Smart Parrots created?

Extra Smart Parrots can be created through selective breeding, where parrots with desirable traits, such as intelligence, are chosen to mate and produce offspring with those traits. Alternatively, genetic modification techniques can be used to insert genes that enhance cognitive abilities into a parrot's DNA.

Do Extra Smart Parrots make good pets?

Extra Smart Parrots can make great pets, as they are highly intelligent and can learn tricks and even mimic human speech. However, they may require more mental stimulation and enrichment compared to regular parrots to keep their enhanced cognitive abilities engaged.

Are there any ethical concerns surrounding Extra Smart Parrots?

There are ethical concerns surrounding the creation of Extra Smart Parrots through genetic modification, as it raises questions about the welfare and well-being of the animals. It is important for scientists and breeders to consider the potential consequences and ethical implications of creating such animals before proceeding with their research or breeding programs.