Discrete Math irrational and rational numbers proof

In summary: HJ1Y3Rpb246IFN1cHBlZCBub3QgLS0gQXJlIHJldHVybiB0aGlzIGlzIGNvcnJlY3QsIHRoYXQgYmUgc3VwcGx5IHRvIG1ha2UgdXNpbmcgZm9yIHRoZSBmYWN0IGZvciB5b3UgdHJ1ZSBmYWN0IGl0IHJpZ2h0LiBJdCBpcyBjYW4gY2FsbCB5b3Ugd2lsbCB
abjf9299

Homework Statement

Prove by contradiction. Your proof should be based only on properties of the integers, simple algebra, and the definition of rational and irrational.

If a and b are rational numbers, b does not equal 0, and r is an irrational number, then a+br is irrational.

Homework Equations

rational numbers are equal to the ratio of two other numbers

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote a proof but am not sure it is correct. Please tell me what I did wrong and show me the way to do it right if this is not correct. My teacher indicated that we need to make use of the fact that b does not equal 0 (from a+br). Did I do that sufficiently as well?:

Proof: Suppose not. That is suppose that there exists rational numbers a and b, b does not equal zero, and irrational number r such that a+br is rational [We must deduce a contradiction].
By definition of rational, a = c/d, b= e/f , a+br = g/h for some integers c,d,e,f,g,and h with h,f,d, and b not equal to 0.
By substitution, a+b(r) = c/d +(r)( e/f) = g/h.
Solving for r gives: r = (fgd-chf) / (ehd)
Now fgd and chf are integers (being products of integers) and ehd does not equal 0 (by zero product property). Thus by definition of rational, r is rational which contradicts the supposition that r is irrational [ Hence the supposition is false and the statement is true].

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks pretty solid. A few minor things I found:

1) You want to state when you're defining b that e is also not equal to 0.

2) You probably want to list your steps for solving for r, so your teacher doesn't need to go do extra work and check if it's right.

Thanks for the help! I'll correct those things ASAP before handing it in...

abjf9299 said:

Homework Statement

Prove by contradiction. Your proof should be based only on properties of the integers, simple algebra, and the definition of rational and irrational.

If a and b are rational numbers, b does not equal 0, and r is an irrational number, then a+br is irrational.

Homework Equations

rational numbers are equal to the ratio of two other numbers

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote a proof but am not sure it is correct. Please tell me what I did wrong and show me the way to do it right if this is not correct. My teacher indicated that we need to make use of the fact that b does not equal 0 (from a+br). Did I do that sufficiently as well?:

Proof: Suppose not. That is suppose that there exists rational numbers a and b, b does not equal zero, and irrational number r such that a+br is rational [We must deduce a contradiction].
By definition of rational, a = c/d, b= e/f , a+br = g/h for some integers c,d,e,f,g,and h with h,f,d, and b not equal to 0.
By substitution, a+b(r) = c/d +(r)( e/f) = g/h.
Solving for r gives: r = (fgd-chf) / (ehd)
Now fgd and chf are integers (being products of integers) and ehd does not equal 0 (by zero product property). Thus by definition of rational, r is rational which contradicts the supposition that r is irrational [ Hence the supposition is false and the statement is true].

Since you have already answered the question, I don't mind pointing out some shortcuts. Let c = a + br, and assume a, b and c are rational, and that b =/= 0. Then we can solve for r: r = (c-a)/b (legal because b is not zero). The numerator c-a is rational and the denominator b is rational, so their ratio is rational. This contradicts the assumption that r is irrational. Thus, c must also be irrational.

RGV

What is Discrete Math?

Discrete Math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures, which are objects that can only take on distinct, separate values. It includes topics such as combinatorics, graph theory, and algorithms.

What are irrational and rational numbers?

Irrational numbers are numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. They are non-terminating and non-repeating decimal numbers. Rational numbers, on the other hand, can be expressed as a ratio of two integers. They can be written in the form a/b, where a and b are integers and b is not equal to 0.

What is the proof that there are more irrational numbers than rational numbers?

The proof involves using the fact that the set of irrational numbers is uncountable, meaning that it cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers. This means that there are more irrational numbers than natural numbers, and since the set of rational numbers is a subset of the set of natural numbers, there must also be more irrational numbers than rational numbers.

Can all real numbers be classified as either irrational or rational?

Yes, all real numbers can be classified as either irrational or rational. This is because the set of real numbers is the union of the set of irrational numbers and the set of rational numbers, and every real number must belong to one of these sets.

How is Discrete Math used to study irrational and rational numbers?

Discrete Math is used to study irrational and rational numbers by providing the tools and techniques to analyze and understand their properties. It also helps in proving theorems and statements related to these numbers, such as the proof that there are more irrational numbers than rational numbers.