Discrete Mathematics (confused and help wanted)

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of functions and the difference between functions in algebra, calculus, and discrete mathematics. The example provided is asking for all the possible functions from a two-element set to another two-element set. The book states that there are eight functions, but the speaker only sees four. The speaker also clarifies that there is no real difference between functions in different branches of math, but they may have different domains and ranges. The concept of a function is defined as a set of ordered pairs where each input has only one output.
sampahmel
Dear all,

I have an example taken from the book titled "Discrete Mathematics For Computer Science" by Kenneth Bogart. In the book, page 11, example 1.2-2, it says: Write down all the functions from the two element set {1,2} to the two element set {a,b}.

I couldn't understand the reasoning behind its explanation and I can't tell the difference between the functions in algebra and calculus.

According to the book, it says there are 8 functions for the example above. Why? And how is it different from a typical function? ( Functions in algebra and calculus has an infinite number sets of numbers as their domain) I do know about that and functions in discrete mathematics has a finite sets as their domain and range, I also understand this too and so ...How did the book came to the conclusion that there are 8 functions?

Thank you,

S

Physics news on Phys.org
A function is defined by the value of the function at each point in its domain. So the number of functions is just the number of choices for f(1) times the number of choices for f(2). I would say that there are only four functions:

f(1) = a, f(2) = a
f(1) = b, f(2) = b
f(1) = a, f(2) = b
f(1) = b, f(2) = a

I don't distinguish between functions in algebra, calculus, and discrete math; they're all just functions. True, some functions have the real numbers as their domain while others have the positive reals, the integers, the nonnegative integers, some other infinite set, or a finite set, but they all follow the same rules.

At the simplest you can define a relation as any set of ordered pairs of objects: a function is a relation in which no two distinct ordered pairs have the same first coordinate.
These are not the most general statements, but they apply to the current setting and serve to show one distinction between functions and other collections.

1. What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures, which are mathematical objects that can only take on distinct, separate values. It is used to model and analyze real-world problems that involve finite or countable sets of objects.

2. How is discrete mathematics different from other branches of mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is different from other branches of mathematics, such as calculus or algebra, because it deals with discrete objects and structures rather than continuous ones. It also often involves logical reasoning and problem-solving techniques, rather than focusing on formulas and equations.

3. What are some applications of discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics has a wide range of applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, finance, and cryptography. It is used to solve problems related to networks, algorithms, data structures, and coding theory, among others.

4. What are some key topics in discrete mathematics?

Some key topics in discrete mathematics include graph theory, combinatorics, number theory, logic, and set theory. Other important concepts include functions, relations, proofs, and counting techniques.

5. How can I improve my understanding of discrete mathematics?

To improve your understanding of discrete mathematics, it is important to practice solving problems, as this subject is heavily based on problem-solving and logical thinking. You can also read textbooks or attend lectures and workshops to learn about different concepts and techniques. Additionally, working with a study group or seeking help from a tutor can also be beneficial.