1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete topology and discrete subspaces

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If A is a subspace of X and A has discrete topology does X have discrete topolgy?Also if X has discrete topology then does it imply that A must have discrete topology?

3. The attempt at a solution
    My understanding of discrete topology suggests to me that if A is discrete it doesn't imply that X is also. example A the natural numbers as a subspace of X the real numbers with the euclidean metric.

I feel the reverse is true. For X to be discrete does every singleton in the metric space have to be open? ie: is it correct to say that the a metric topology is discrete if and only if each singleton in the metric space is open?
    I think the answer is yes in which case each singlton in X is open meaning any subspace is also discrete. Since the subspace would be a collection of singletons and unions of singletons.

Also for a set to be open is true to say: a set A a subset of X is open if and only if for all a in A d(a,X-A)>0?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That all seems pretty ok to me.

4. Mar 12, 2013 #3
    Thanks for confirming. Very hard to be sure since there always seems to be a catch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted