1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Probability Mass Function

1. Oct 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A gas supply company is trying to set up contracts with two clients, A and B. The company will make a profit of ten million dollars for each contract that is successfully agreed. The probability of agreeing a deal with client A is 1/4 and the probability of agreeing a deal with client B is 1/2. The decisions of the two clients are independent. Let X be the total profit that the company will make from the two clients.

a)Find the probability mass function of X

b)Find the mean and variance of X

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having a problem with setting up the PMF for this question.

f_X(x) =
    1/4 for X = A
    1/2 for X = B

This makes absolutely no sense. Furthermore, the sum of PMF has to equal to 1 but in this case, it isn't. I'm completely lost, how do I set up the PMF for this?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

X is the total profit. You might start by listing the possible values X may take.

4. Oct 19, 2011 #3
    Twenty million dollars, ten million dollars and zero dollars??

(edit)nvm I figured out ty

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  5. Oct 19, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I guess that means "never mind" and "thank you". You're welcome. Sometimes it just takes a little hint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook