1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marginal Probability Mass Functions

1. Feb 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Discrete random variables X and Y , whose values are positive integers, have the joint
    probability mass function pXY(x,y) = 2-x-y. Determine the marginal probability mass
    functions pX(x) and pY(y). Are X and Y independent? Determine E[X], E[Y], and E[XY].

2. Relevant equations

Independence is determined by whether p(x,y) = p(x)p(y) for all x and y.

3. The attempt at a solution

My notes don't have much on the topic of determining marginal PMF's using a JPMF... I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The marginal pmf of X is
    [tex] p_X(x) = P\{ X = x, Y \leq \infty\} = \sum_{\text{all }y} p(x,y).[/tex]
    BTW: it is bad form to use the same symbol p to stand for three different things in the same problem. Instead, use subscripts, like this (##p_X(x), p_Y(y)##) or different letters, like this: ##g(x)## and ##h(y)##.

4. Feb 25, 2013 #3
    So if that's the marginal PMF of x, then for y....

[tex] p_Y(y) = P\{ X \leq \infty\ , Y = y} = \sum_{\text{all }x} p(x,y).[/tex]

5. Feb 25, 2013 #4
    Fixed it, and yes that is correct.

6. Feb 25, 2013 #5
    So using these 2 PMFs i have to determine whether X and Y are independent. Going by the definition i'd say they are independent.

Is this right?

[tex] E[X] = \sum_{\text{k}} x_k * p_X(x_k) = \sum_{\text{k}} x_k * \sum_{\text{x}} p(x,y).[/tex]

7. Feb 25, 2013 #6
    Your ##E(X)## is right. For the next question, use the theorem: If ##X,Y## are independent, then ##E(XY) = E(X)E(Y)##.

8. Feb 25, 2013 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your equation makes no sense: it is essentially summing over x twice, and not doing anything with y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted