1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Random Variable Probloem

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X be a discrete random variable with probability mass function p given by:

a ...| -1 .| 0 ..| 1 ..| 2
    -----+-----+-----+-----+---
    p(a) | 1/4 | 1/8 | 1/8 | 1/2

and p(a) = 0 for all other a.

a.) Let random variable Y be defined by Y = X^2. Calculate the probability mass function of Y.

b.) Calculate the distribution functions for X and Y in a = 1, a = 3/4, a = pi - 3

2. Relevant equations

n/a

3. The attempt at a solution

a.) I know that if X = 2, Y = 4. And if X = 0, Y = 0, so
    Py(4) = Px(2) = 1/2 and
    Py(0) = Px(0) = 1/8

But what about -1 and 1? Does this mean that Py(1) = Px(-1) + Px(1)?

b.) Since we're only dealing with whole numbers, is it true that the probability distribution function for X and Y on a = 1, a = 3/4, a = pi - 3 is equal to PX(1) + PX(0) and PY(1) + PY(0) respectively?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, P(Y=1) = P(X^2=1) = P(X=+-1) = P(X=1) + P(X = -1)

For part b you aren't "dealing with whole numbers", whatever that means. The cumulative distribution functions for X and Y are defined for all real numbers. Your notation is confusing. I assume you are using Py and Px for the probability mass functions of X and Y. You need to give some notation for the cumulative distribution function (CDF). Let's call the CDF of X by the name F(x). We don't say "the function of X in a". You ask for F(a) which is P(X <= a). Once you have that straight you can probably tell whether your answers are correct.

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your help! The terminology and the notation are really what get me. I'll have to keep working on it. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook