Discrete Random Variable Probloem

Homework Statement

Let X be a discrete random variable with probability mass function p given by:

a ...| -1 .| 0 ..| 1 ..| 2
-----+-----+-----+-----+---
p(a) | 1/4 | 1/8 | 1/8 | 1/2

and p(a) = 0 for all other a.

a.) Let random variable Y be defined by Y = X^2. Calculate the probability mass function of Y.

b.) Calculate the distribution functions for X and Y in a = 1, a = 3/4, a = pi - 3

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) I know that if X = 2, Y = 4. And if X = 0, Y = 0, so
Py(4) = Px(2) = 1/2 and
Py(0) = Px(0) = 1/8

But what about -1 and 1? Does this mean that Py(1) = Px(-1) + Px(1)?

b.) Since we're only dealing with whole numbers, is it true that the probability distribution function for X and Y on a = 1, a = 3/4, a = pi - 3 is equal to PX(1) + PX(0) and PY(1) + PY(0) respectively?

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Yes, P(Y=1) = P(X^2=1) = P(X=+-1) = P(X=1) + P(X = -1)

For part b you aren't "dealing with whole numbers", whatever that means. The cumulative distribution functions for X and Y are defined for all real numbers. Your notation is confusing. I assume you are using Py and Px for the probability mass functions of X and Y. You need to give some notation for the cumulative distribution function (CDF). Let's call the CDF of X by the name F(x). We don't say "the function of X in a". You ask for F(a) which is P(X <= a). Once you have that straight you can probably tell whether your answers are correct.

Thanks for your help! The terminology and the notation are really what get me. I'll have to keep working on it. Thanks again!