Discrete Relations: can't understand relation definition

In summary, the relation S on the set of integers Z x Z is defined by pairs of integers where the first integer multiplied by the second integer is equal to the second integer multiplied by the first integer.
theRukus

Homework Statement

Let Z be the set of all integers.

Then, S is a relation on the set Z x Z defined by:

for (a1, a2), (b1, b2) belong to Z x Z,

(a1, a2)S(b1, b2) <-> a1b2 = a2b1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The actual problem is about symmetry, antisymmetry, transitivity, and reflexivity. I get all of those concepts. What I don't understand is,

What does (a1, a2)S(b1, b2) mean?

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If anyone has anything close to an idea of what this could mean.. Please help. I just need a good guess so I can try the question, but I don't have a clue.

S is the symbol for the relation. For example, (1, 2)S(2, 4) because 1*4 = 2*2. In this case the relation is that two ordered pairs are proportional. You could think of the ordered pairs as ratios: 1 is to 2 in the same ratio as 2 is to 4.

1. What is a discrete relation?

A discrete relation is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two sets of data, where the elements in each set are distinct or separate. It is often represented as a set of ordered pairs, where the first element in each pair is from one set and the second element is from the other set.

2. How is a discrete relation different from a continuous relation?

A discrete relation is different from a continuous relation in that the elements in a discrete relation are distinct and separate, whereas the elements in a continuous relation are connected and can vary infinitely. In other words, a discrete relation has a finite number of possible values, while a continuous relation has an infinite number of possible values.

3. What is the purpose of defining a relation?

The purpose of defining a relation is to describe the connection or relationship between two sets of data. This allows us to understand the patterns and connections within the data, and can help us make predictions or draw conclusions about the data.

4. How can I determine if a relation is discrete or continuous?

A relation is discrete if the elements in each set are distinct and separate, and there is a finite number of possible values. On the other hand, a relation is continuous if the elements are connected and can vary infinitely. This can be determined by looking at the data and identifying if there are distinct and separate elements, or if there is a continuous range of values.

5. Why do I need to understand discrete relations?

Understanding discrete relations is important in many fields, including mathematics, computer science, and data analysis. It allows us to analyze and interpret data, make predictions, and solve problems. Additionally, many real-world systems and phenomena can be described using discrete relations, so understanding them is crucial for understanding the world around us.