Is the Discretization of this Differential Equation Accurate?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation in a tri-dimensional grid with grid spacing along the x, y, and z coordinates. The equation involves the potential Φ and a scalar quantity ε that is a function of x, y, and z. The left-hand side of the equation is rewritten using weights from the article "Generation of Finite Difference Formulas on Arbitrarily Spaced Grids" by Bernt Fornberg. The conversation also mentions using notation for the derivatives of a function and solving the resulting linear system of equations. The speaker is requesting confirmation on the discretization of the equation before proceeding with solving it numerically.
kolmog
Hello,

I am trying to solve the following differential equation in a tri-dimensional grid with grid spacing of hx , hy , and hz along the x, y, and z coordinates.
\begin{equation}\nabla\cdot(\epsilon\nabla\phi)=-4\pi\rho\end{equation}
Here, ε is a scalar quantity that is a function of x, y, and,z, while Φ is a potential.
The left-hand side of the equation can be rewritten as follows

\begin{equation}\nabla\cdot(\epsilon\nabla\phi)=\frac{\partial\epsilon}{\partial x}\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial\epsilon}{\partial y}\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial\epsilon}{\partial z}\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial z}+\epsilon\left(\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial y^2}+\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial z^2}\right)\end{equation}
According to the weights given in the article entitled "Generation of Finite Difference Formulas on Arbitrarily Spaced Grids" by Bernt Fornberg, the first derivative of the function f(x,y,z) along the x coordinate (up to sixth order) is approximated as
\begin{equation}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=\frac{3}{4}f(x+h_x)-\frac{3}{4}f(x-h_x)-\frac{3}{20}f(x+2h_x)+\frac{3}{20}f(x-2h_x)+\\+\frac{1}{60}f(x+3h_x)-\frac{1}{60}f(x-3h_x)\end{equation}
For the y and z coordinates the result would be the same changing 'x' by 'y' or 'z'.
For the second derivative along the x coordinate:
\begin{equation}\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x^2}=-\frac{49}{18}f(x,y,z)+\frac{3}{2}f(x+h_x)+\frac{3}{2}f(x-h_x)-\frac{3}{20}f(x+2h_x)-\frac{3}{20}f(x-2h_x)+\\+\frac{1}{90}f(x+3h_x)+\frac{1}{90}f(x-3h_x)\end{equation}
From now on, we use the following notation:
\begin{equation}\frac{\partial\epsilon}{\partial x}=\epsilon'_x\hspace{1cm}\frac{\partial\epsilon}{\partial y}=\epsilon'_y,\hspace{1cm}\frac{\partial\epsilon}{\partial z}=\epsilon'_z\\\phi(x+h_x,y,z)=\phi_x,\hspace{1cm}\phi(x-h_x,y,z)=\phi_{-x}\hspace{1cm}\\\phi(x+2h_x,y,z)=\phi_{2x},\hspace{1cm}\phi(x-2h_x,y,z)=\phi_{-2x}
\\\phi(x+3h_x,y,z)=\phi_{3x},\hspace{1cm}\phi(x-3h_x,y,z)=\phi_{-3x}
\\\phi(x,y+h_y,z)=\phi_y,\hspace{1cm}\phi(x,y-h_y,z)=\phi_{-y}\hspace{1cm}\\\phi(x,y+2h_y,z)=\phi_{2y},\hspace{1cm}\phi(x,y-2h_y,z)=\phi_{-2y}
\\\phi(x,y+3h_y,z)=\phi_{3y},\hspace{1cm}\phi(x,y-3h_y,z)=\phi_{-3y}
\\\phi(x,y,z+h_z)=\phi_z,\hspace{1cm}\phi(x,y,z-h_z)=\phi_{-z}\hspace{1cm}\\\phi(x,y,z+2h_z)=\phi_{2z},\hspace{1cm}\phi(x,y,z-2h_z)=\phi_{-2z}
\\\phi(x,y,z+3h_z)=\phi_{3z},\hspace{1cm}\phi(x,y,z-3h_z)=\phi_{-3z}
\end{equation}

Then, the left-hand side of the equation that we want to solve is written as:
\begin{equation}\nabla\cdot(\epsilon\nabla\phi)=-\frac{49\epsilon}{18}\left(\frac{1}{h_x^2}+\frac{1}{h_y^2}+\frac{1}{h_z^2}\right)\phi(x,y,z)+\left[\frac{3\epsilon'_x}{4h_x}+\frac{3\epsilon}{2h_x^2}\right]\phi_x+\left[\frac{3\epsilon}{2h_x^2}-\frac{3\epsilon'_x}{4h_x}\right]\phi_{-x}+\\+\left[\frac{3\epsilon'_y}{4h_y}+\frac{3\epsilon}{2h_y^2}\right]\phi_y+\left[\frac{3\epsilon}{2h_y^2}-\frac{3\epsilon'_y}{4h_y}\right]\phi_{-y}+\left[\frac{3\epsilon'_z}{4h_z}+\frac{3\epsilon}{2h_z^2}\right]\phi_z+\left[\frac{3\epsilon}{2h_z^2}-\frac{3\epsilon'_z}{4h_z}\right]\phi_{-z}

\\-\left[\frac{3\epsilon'_x}{20h_x}+\frac{3\epsilon}{20h_x^2}\right]\phi_{2x}+\left[\frac{3\epsilon'_x}{20h_x}-\frac{3\epsilon}{20h_x^2}\right]\phi_{-2x}-\left[\frac{3\epsilon'_y}{20h_y}+\frac{3\epsilon}{20h_y^2}\right]\phi_{2y}+\\+\left[\frac{3\epsilon'_y}{20h_y}-\frac{3\epsilon}{20h_y^2}\right]\phi_{-2y}-\left[\frac{3\epsilon'_z}{20h_z}+\frac{3\epsilon}{20h_z^2}\right]\phi_{2z}+\left[\frac{3\epsilon'_z}{20h_z}-\frac{3\epsilon}{20h_z^2}\right]\phi_{-2z}\\+\left[\frac{\epsilon'_x}{60h_x}+\frac{\epsilon}{90h_x^2}\right]\phi_{3x}+\left[\frac{\epsilon}{90h_x^2}-\frac{\epsilon'_x}{60h_x}\right]\phi_{-3x}+\left[\frac{\epsilon'_y}{60h_y}+\frac{\epsilon}{90h_y^2}\right]\phi_{3y}+\\+\left[\frac{\epsilon}{90h_y^2}-\frac{\epsilon'_y}{60h_y}\right]\phi_{-3y}+\left[\frac{\epsilon'_z}{60h_z}+\frac{\epsilon}{90h_z^2}\right]\phi_{3z}+\left[\frac{\epsilon}{90h_z^2}-\frac{\epsilon'_z}{60h_z}\right]\phi_{-3z}\end{equation}

For the right-hand side, according to the same article by Bernd Fornberg, it is just -4πρ(x,y,z).

Then, one has just to solve the linear system of equations,
\begin{equation}A\phi=f\end{equation} where 'A' is the matrix given by the discretization shown above for the left-hand side (with the appropriate boundary conditions for the points located at the limits in the x, y, and z coordinates) and f is the vector given -4πρ.

I am checking if everything was well done. Can somebody read this post and tell me if the discretization is ok? I am pretty sure that everything has been calculated well, but I want to be sure.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you going to solve it numerically ?

Why haven't you used any of the f(x+h,y+h,z) and sign permutations as well as f(x+h,y+h,z+h) with sign permutations?

I am going to solve it numerically. In fact, I think I have solved it but I am not sure if the discretization was properly done.

Do you have some efficient method/algorithm to solve the resulting linear system ?

Yes I do. However, my question was related to the discretization of the equation.

With respect to 'Strum' comment. I just use the values at x, x±hx, x±2hx, x±3hx (and the same for y and z) because I use the formula given in the article by Bernt Fornberg, that just uses the values at these positions for the derivatives of a function. If you wanted, you could have used another definition for the derivatives of a function, but in this case I have adopted this approach.

Why are you going to 6th order? Isn't 2nd order adequate. It's so much more simple, and application of the boundary conditions is much easier. To check your discretization, why don't you just solve it with 2nd order approximations, and then compare the results with the 6th order results?

Chet

Likes soarce
kolmog said:
With respect to 'Strum' comment. I just use the values at x, x±hx, x±2hx, x±3hx (and the same for y and z) because I use the formula given in the article by Bernt Fornberg, that just uses the values at these positions for the derivatives of a function. If you wanted, you could have used another definition for the derivatives of a function, but in this case I have adopted this approach.

I was just curious. I don't think that is an often used stencil. How do you handle the boundary conditions?

Boundary conditions are periodic. They are easy to implement.

With respect to 'Chestermiller' comment. I have also implemented the 2nd order discretization with similar results.

1)

What is discretization of equation?

Discretization of equation is the process of converting a continuous mathematical equation into a discrete form. This involves dividing the equation into smaller intervals or time steps, and approximating the continuous function with a series of discrete data points.

2)

Why is discretization of equation important in scientific research?

Discretization of equation is important because many real-world problems can be described by continuous mathematical equations, but they cannot be solved analytically. By discretizing the equations, they can be solved numerically using computational methods, making it possible to study and analyze complex systems.

3)

What are the common methods used for discretization of equation?

There are several methods used for discretization of equation, including finite difference, finite element, and finite volume methods. These methods differ in their approach to dividing the equation into smaller parts, and choosing the appropriate method depends on the specific problem and its boundary conditions.

4)

How does discretization affect the accuracy of the solution?

The accuracy of the solution is directly affected by the size of the intervals or time steps used in discretization. Finer intervals or time steps result in a more accurate solution, but also require more computational resources. Therefore, a balance must be struck between accuracy and computational efficiency when choosing the discretization parameters.

5)

Are there any limitations to discretization of equation?

Discretization of equation may introduce errors due to the approximation of the continuous function with discrete data points. These errors can be reduced by using more advanced methods or refining the discretization parameters, but it is important to note that the solution is still an approximation and may not be completely accurate.