1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dispersion relation for a surface wave of a pool of water

1. Dec 23, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-12-23_11-20-28.png upload_2017-12-23_11-20-46.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

## v = \frac { \omega } k ##

## \omega = \sqrt{ kg \tanh (k) } ##

I have no idea to guess the graph.

I put g = 9.8 and tried to calculate ## \omega ## for different values of k.

## \omega (0 ) = 0,

\omega (30) = 17.15

~~\omega (20) = 14 ##

But, these values don’t match any of the graph.

So, what to do now?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You missed a factor of ## h ## in ## \tanh (kh) ##. (Editing: Oh I missed the part ## h=1##). One problem with trying to rely on numbers on the axes here is they don't label their units, so you don't know what number to use for ## g ##. ## \\ ## A hint that should help: What is the functional behavior of ## \tanh(k) ## for large ## k ##? Thereby, what does ## \omega ## vs. ## k ## look like for large ## k ##? ## \\ ## Also, what is the slope for very small ## k ##? Is it some constant or is it zero? (Hint: Expand ## \sinh(x) ## and ## \cosh(x) ## in Taylor series for small ##x ##). ## \\ ## You could also try using ## g=980 ## cm/sec^2 , but for this problem, I think that leads you to an incorrect answer.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  4. Dec 23, 2017 #3
    I didn’t know the graph of ## \tanh ( k ) ## and I don’t want to look for it right now. 1st I want to solve this question with the knowledge I have and then I will look to the graph.

## \tanh ( k) = \frac { e^k - e^{-k} } { e^k + e^{-k} } ## .....(.1)

As k tends to infinity, ## \tanh ( k) ## tends to 1.

So, for very large k, ## \omega \approx \sqrt{ kg} ## .....(2)

So, as k goes to infinity, ##\omega## should go to infinity . .....(3)

(b) and (d) fulfils condition (3).

## \tanh ( k ) = k \frac { 1 + \frac { k^2}{3!} +…}{ 1 + \frac { k^2}{2!} + …} ## .....(4)

So, for small k, ## \tanh ( k) \approx k ## .....(5)

## \omega \approx k\sqrt{ g} ## .....(6)

So, ##\omega## goes from ##\sqrt{ g}## k for small k to ##\sqrt {gk} ## for large k. This is shown by (b).

So, the correct option is (b).

Is this correct?

5. Dec 23, 2017 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct=I would pick (b) also. A couple of things to observe: For large ## k ##, ## \omega=\sqrt{g} \sqrt{k} ## so instead of looking like a straight line, the second derivative will be negative. ## \\ ## Also for small ## k ##, ## d \omega /dk=\sqrt{g} ##, rather than 0. ## \\ ## (d) comes close to working in some ways, but the second derivative in (d) is slightly positive for large ## k ##.

6. Dec 23, 2017 #5
    Thanks.
    Is there any insight article in PF, which helps in understanding how to guess a graph without plotting it exactly?

7. Dec 23, 2017 #6

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not that I know of. I thought of one additional feature though that helps to show (b) is correct: For large ## k ## (in this case even 18 is large), ## \omega(36)/\omega(18) ## needs to be approximately ## \sqrt{36/18}=\sqrt{2} ##. This would rule out (c).

8. Dec 24, 2017 #7
    That's a nice idea to get rid of g.
    Then I can have one ratio for small k and another ratio for large k and see which graph meets this ratio. If I got one meeting this ratio, then surely this will be the required graph.
    I see that tanh (k) ≈ k is a good approximation for k < 0.5,
    tanh (k) ≈ 1 is a good approximation for k > 10.

Now, small k approximation is not useful here due to scale of the graphs. So, one can use large k approximation to eliminate some options.
    Thanks for it.

upload_2017-12-24_18-42-10.png

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted