1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dispersion relations and Plasma

1. May 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The dispersion relation for a plasma is given by

[tex]k^{2}=\frac{\omega^{2}}{c^{2}}(1-\frac{\omega^{2}_{p}}{\omega^{2}})[/tex]

[tex]\omega^{2}_{p}\:= \frac{Ne^{2}}{m_{e}\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

Where N is the electron density

During re enrty of a spacecraft there was a radio blackout of all frequencies up to 10^10 Hz because it was surrounded by a plasma. Calculate the electron density in the plasma surrounding the spacecraft.

Sensitive equipment detected EM radio waves at 10^9 Hz at an amplitude of 10% of that before re entry. Calculate the thickness of the plasma.
    2. Relevant equations

Given above

3. The attempt at a solution

Got the first part easily enough, by substituting in the expression for [tex]\omega^{2}_{p}[/tex], then solving [tex] \frac{Ne^{2}}{\omega^{2}m_{e}\epsilon_{0}}=1[/tex] for N to get N= 1.24x10^18. I don't really have any idea about how to go about the second part, I can't find anything about it in my textbook (I S Grant & W R Phillips Electromagnetism) or on the old googles

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2009 #2
    Since the frequency is below the plasma frequency your 'k' will be imaginary. That means the wave will exponentially decay. So you will have something like E = E_0*exp(-kx). And you know the amplitude is decreased by 10%, so you are left with something like... 0.10 = exp(-k*x)

Now you just solve for 'x', and that is roughly how far the wave had to attenuate through before it escaped

4. May 11, 2009 #3
    Hi

thanks for the reply. I don't think I quite follow though. K is the wave number, given by 2pi/lambda isn't it? How can that be imaginary? k would be 2pi/0.3 recurring for EM of 10^9 Hz... Would my answer then just be 0.10=exp(x2pi/0.3) solve for x?

5. May 11, 2009 #4
    The wave is in a plasma, so the dispersion relation w=ck doesn't apply anymore. Use the dispersion relation you listed above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook