1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement word problem grade 11

1. Aug 6, 2014 #1
    1. while driving a lady sees a cat run on the road and it takes her 0.80s to react and put her foot on the brake. her car is travelling 25 m/s. (a)how far will the car travel before she puts her foot on the brake and (b) if when the brake is applied the car decelerates at a uniform rate of 9.3 m/s^2, what is the total displacements in the car?

i tried dividing .80s by 25 m/s for (a) but i don't know if its right. and i have no idea how to do the (b)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

You take one step per second and you walk for 3 seconds how many steps do you take?

The lady is traveling at 25 meters/second and travels for 0.8 of a second before hitting the brake and how many meters does she travel?

for part b, show us what formulas you know that might apply to the problem and think I have time, speed and acceleration and want distance...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  4. Aug 6, 2014 #3
    So I would multiply .80*25 which is 20m

5. Aug 6, 2014 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Yes and you can check via units of measure m/s *s is meters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted