Disproof of Riemann Hypothesis

In summary, the conversation revolves around a proof attempting to disprove the Riemann Hypothesis by using the Gamma function and other mathematical concepts. The conversation includes discussions about the validity of certain equations and the treatment of infinities as numbers. Ultimately, the proof is deemed to be incorrect as it does not properly disprove the Riemann Hypothesis.
I think the paper should be scrapped because it makes no sense anymore. It no longer disproves the hypothesis. Your first steps are incorrect, once again I feel that the gamma function is wrong. And your definition of the theta function, once again, does not seem to make sense. And because the paper ends with no definite result, it is meaningless.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
You could delete your entire document altogether, because the very first step is not valid. Or you haven't given a reason why it is valid.

Also "Euler and others showed..." should have a reference to where you found the result.

I just substituted the theta function and the Euler-Mascheroni constant.

Ashwin_Kumar said:
So technically this is no longer a disproof nor a proof.

Yes.

Ashwin_Kumar said:
I think the paper should be scrapped because it makes no sense anymore. It no longer disproves the hypothesis. Your first steps are incorrect,

I just substituted the theta function and the Euler Mascheroni Constant.

Ashwin_Kumar said:
once again I feel that the gamma function is wrong.

Where is it wrong?

Ashwin_Kumar said:
And your definition of the theta function, once again, does not seem to make sense.

Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theta_function. That is the definition of theta function I used. The general one, not the special case.

Ashwin_Kumar said:
And because the paper ends with no definite result, it is meaningless.

Well but it seems to be much easier do prove the end result rather than the original Riemann Hypoothesis.

The only way to disprove Riemann Hypothesis is to give a counter example where the non-trivial zero of the Riemman Zeta Function does not have half as its real part. Its that simple. The disproof should not be more than a line or 2 at most. It is the proof that is expected to be very lengthy. To date the first 10 trillion non-trivial zeros of the zeta function are confirmed to be on the critical line. What you have done is really not a disproof.

amitjohar said:
The only way to disprove Riemann Hypothesis is to give a counter example where the non-trivial zero of the Riemman Zeta Function does not have half as its real part. Its that simple. The disproof should not be more than a line or 2 at most. It is the proof that is expected to be very lengthy. To date the first 10 trillion non-trivial zeros of the zeta function are confirmed to be on the critical line. What you have done is really not a disproof.

That's why its an extension.

I believe that the Riemann Hypothesis is true. There is a one million dollar prize for anyone who can prove the Riemann Hypothesis. But there is no prize for the disproof of Riemman Hypothesis. This shows that RH is likely true. Why else is no prize offered for disproof of RH?

amitjohar said:
I believe that the Riemann Hypothesis is true. There is a one million dollar prize for anyone who can prove the Riemann Hypothesis. But there is no prize for the disproof of Riemman Hypothesis. This shows that RH is likely true. Why else is no prize offered for disproof of RH?
Ah, the classic reductio ad praemium method of proof...

amitjohar said:

A prize is offered for the solution of the Riemann Hypothesis. So even a counterexample could get you 1000000$.

micromass said:
A prize is offered for the solution of the Riemann Hypothesis. So even a counterexample could get you 1000000$.
Well, now we have a problem. By the method of proof advanced by amitjohar, we now have shown that the Riemann hypothesis is both true and false.

pmsrw3 said:
Well, now we have a problem. By the method of proof advanced by amitjohar, we now have shown that the Riemann hypothesis is both true and false.

Aha! So we have shown mathematics to be inconsistent!

micromass said:
Aha! So we have shown mathematics to be inconsistent!
Isn't there a prize for that?