Distance, Acceleration and Time Question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total distance traveled by a helicopter that lifts off at a constant acceleration of 5.0m/s^2 for 11.0 seconds. The equation y = yo + voyt + 1/2*ax*t^2 is used to attempt a solution, with an initial position of 0 and velocity of 0. The resulting calculation is 3*10^2m, but the actual answer is 4.6*10^2m. It is suggested to check the arithmetic for errors.
student34

Homework Statement

If you are in a helicopter and the helicopter lifts off at a constant acceleration of 5.0m/s^2 for 11.0 seconds, what is the total distance traveled from the ground?

Homework Equations

y = yo + voyt + 1/2*ax*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

y = 0 + 0 + 1/2(5m/s^2)(11^2)

y = 3*10^2m

But, apparently the actual answer is 4.6*10^2m.

Physics news on Phys.org
student34 said:

Homework Statement

If you are in a helicopter and the helicopter lifts off at a constant acceleration of 5.0m/s^2 for 11.0 seconds, what is the total distance traveled from the ground?

Homework Equations

y = yo + voyt + 1/2*ax*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

y = 0 + 0 + 1/2(5m/s^2)(11^2)

y = 3*10^2m

But, apparently the actual answer is 4.6*10^2m.

Check your arithmetic.

Added in Edit:
Simon Bridge said:
Guess I have to check mine too :(
I'll check mine instead !

DOH !

Last edited:
Guess I have to check mine too :(

What is distance?

Distance is the measurement of how far an object has traveled. It is typically measured in units such as meters, kilometers, or miles.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Acceleration is typically measured in units such as meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How is acceleration related to distance and time?

According to Newton's second law of motion, acceleration is directly proportional to the force applied to an object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Additionally, acceleration is also affected by the distance and time over which the force is applied.

How do you calculate distance, acceleration, and time?

Distance can be calculated by multiplying the average speed of an object by the time it takes to travel that distance. Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. Time can be calculated by dividing the distance by the average speed.

What are some real-world applications of distance, acceleration, and time?

Distance, acceleration, and time are important concepts in many fields of science and engineering. They are used in calculating the motion of objects, such as in predicting the trajectory of a projectile or the flight path of a rocket. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of waves and the effects of gravity. In everyday life, they are used in sports and transportation, such as calculating the speed of a vehicle or the distance a runner has traveled.