Distance, Acceleration, Time, and Power

In summary, the question is asking for the acceleration of an airplane that travels 1.5 km on a runway at a constant acceleration and then takes off with a velocity of 210 km/h. The equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as can be used to solve for acceleration, where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, and s is displacement.
Norngpinky

Homework Statement

If a 1500kg car can accelerate from 35 km/h to 55 km/h in 4.0 s, how long will it take to accelerate from 55 km/h to 75 km/h? Assume the power stays the same, and neglect frictional losses.

Homework Equations

Converting the velocities to m/s, I got... V1=9.7m/s, V2=15m/s, V3=21m/s

Power = work/time = force*distance/time = mass*acceleration*distance/time

Acceleration1 = (V2-V1)/T1 (which is 4 sec) = 1.3 m/s^2

I'm using d = vt + (1/2)at^2 to find distance <----- This I am not totally sure off...

The Attempt at a Solution

So...I did... P=mad/t=ma*(V1t+.5at^2) = 23985

P1 = P2 as the problem stated...

So... a2 = (v3-v2)/t...After substitution I have

a = P / (m*(v3-v2)) = 1.13 m/s^2

Using a = (v3-v2)/t...I solved for t... I got 6.8s

It says I got the wrong answers, but can't figure out there I did it wrong... :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Norngpinky

are you using integrals in this yet?

As noted P = mav is constant, (note v=d/t) so you could figure out how to include this in your differential equations & integrate

however you could also note that Power = Energy/time

do you know the equation for kinetic energy? If we assume all the power goes into creating kinetic energy & use the fact the power stays constant, this means the change in kinetic energy divided by time will be constant

lanedance said:
Hi Norngpinky

are you using integrals in this yet?

As noted P = mav is constant, (note v=d/t) so you could figure out how to include this in your differential equations & integrate

however you could also note that Power = Energy/time

do you know the equation for kinetic energy? If we assume all the power goes into creating kinetic energy & use the fact the power stays constant, this means the change in kinetic energy divided by time will be constant

Oh yes... I don't know why I didn't think of that. I know I messed up on the P=mav since P can be Fv (average) as well. . . and didn't know how to get average v...Did the addition of velocities divided by two, but still got the wrong answer.

Thank you ^^ Your explanation makes a lot of sense.

yeah you will have a problem with as the way you are trying to do it really requires integral calculus

try the energy way

P = (E1-E2)/dt - we know this is constant

andthe energy is all going into kinetic energy
E1 = (1/2)*m*(v1)^2

So use this for your first case to find what P is

then as you know the starting velocity and time of acceleration you should be able to solve for final velocity using the P calculated previously

An airplan moves on the runway of the airport at aconstant acceleration,then it takes off after it travels 1.5 km on the runway at avelocity of 210 km/h . what is the acceleration of airplane?

using v squared = u squared + 2as, a = (v squared - u squared)/2s where v= final velocity u= initial velocity s= displacement a = accel

1. What is distance?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, measured in units such as meters or kilometers. It is a scalar quantity, which means it only has a magnitude or size, without a specific direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, or by using the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken.

3. What is the relationship between time and distance?

Time and distance are directly proportional to each other, meaning that as time increases, distance traveled also increases, assuming a constant speed.

4. How is power related to distance, acceleration, and time?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is related to distance, acceleration, and time through the equation P = F * d / t, where F is the force applied, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken.

5. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. It can be calculated by taking the derivative of the object's velocity-time graph at that point.