Distance between 2 charged protons (i'm desperate)

In summary: So it was just a simple misunderstanding of the units. Great job on solving the problem though!In summary, the question asks for the distance between two protons if they repel each other with a force of 1.0 mN. Using Coulomb's Law, the solution is found to be 4.8 * 10^-13 m. However, if mN is actually meant to represent micro-Newtons instead of milli-Newtons, the correct answer is 1.5 * 10^-11 m. The misunderstanding of the units led to the discrepancy between the answer key and the calculated solution.
bbhh
I'm sure this is so easy and just 1 step. I can do questions like this, I just don't understand, this theory one, or whatever it is.

Homework Statement

How far apart are two protons if they repel each other with a force of 1.0 mN?

Homework Equations

F=k * Q1Q2/r^2

k=9.00*10^9
e=1.6*10^-19

The Attempt at a Solution

F=k * Q1Q2/r^2
.001N = 9*10^9 * 1.6*10^-19 * 1.6*10^-19/ r^2
.001 = 2.304 *10^28/r^2
r^2= 2.304*10^28/.001

r= 4.8 * 10^-13 m.***the answer key says: 1.5 x 10-11 m.

please if you could help me quick it would be amazing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation is correct.

sorry i think i was confusing. i got 4.8 * 10^-13 m. the answer key says 1.5*10^-11. are you telling me the answer key is wrong?

bbhh said:
I'm sure this is so easy and just 1 step. I can do questions like this, I just don't understand, this theory one, or whatever it is.

Homework Statement

How far apart are two protons if they repel each other with a force of 1.0 mN?

Homework Equations

F=k * Q1Q2/r^2

k=9.00*10^9
e=1.6*10^-19

The Attempt at a Solution

F=k * Q1Q2/r^2
.001N = 9*10^9 * 1.6*10^-19 * 1.6*10^-19/ r^2
.001 = 2.304 *10^28/r^2
r^2= 2.304*10^28/.001
r= 4.8 * 10^-13 m.

the correct answer is: 1.5 x 10-11 m.

please if you could help me quick it would be amazing.

I think your approach and solution looks correct to me; I got the same answer. You correctly applied coulomb's Law for this case since the two protons exert an electrocstatic force on each other. Perhaps the book answer could be wrong;

i'm doubting the answer key is wrong. there was another question that was similar in the studies (this is the review), that i also couldn't get.

If mN = milli-Newtons(10^-3) then you are correct in your answer of 4.8*10^-13 m.

If mN = micro-Newtons (10^-6) then you get 1.5*10^-11 m

aahhhh.. thanks, i wasn't sure about mN and i googled it and that's what it said.

bbhh said:
aahhhh.. thanks, i wasn't sure about mN and i googled it and that's what it said.

That's because m is the standard prefix for milli- (10^-3). The micro- (10^-6) prefix is usually represented with a [tex]\mu[/tex].

1. What is the distance between two charged protons?

The distance between two charged protons can vary depending on their charges and the medium they are in. In a vacuum, the distance between two protons can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the distance between two charged protons measured?

The distance between two charged protons can be measured using various techniques such as electron microscopy, atomic force microscopy, and X-ray crystallography. These techniques use high-resolution imaging and diffraction methods to determine the distance between the protons.

3. Can the distance between two charged protons be changed?

Yes, the distance between two charged protons can be changed by altering the charges of the protons or the medium they are in. For example, if the charges of the protons are increased or decreased, the distance between them will also change accordingly.

4. Is there a minimum distance between two charged protons?

Yes, there is a minimum distance between two charged protons. According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, it is not possible to determine the exact position of two charged particles simultaneously. This leads to a minimum distance between the particles, known as the Debye length.

5. What is the significance of the distance between two charged protons?

The distance between two charged protons is significant as it determines the strength of their interaction. The closer the protons are, the stronger the force between them will be. This distance also plays a crucial role in various physical and chemical processes, such as in the formation of chemical bonds and the stability of atoms and molecules.