1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance between lines

1. Apr 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Okay thanks everyone for taking the time to read this quesiton. Now I sort of know how to do this question but im not entirely sure how I should approach it:

I have points A(2,1,2) B(3,2,-1) C(-1,2,4) and D(-2,1,3)

Now a line passes through points A and B and also C and D respectively. What essentially we need to find is that the line that passes through A and B is at least 1 metre apart from the line that passes through C and D
    2. Relevant equations

Dot Product, cross product. unit vector, shortest distance between two points*

3. The attempt at a solution

So in order for there to be a distance we must check if the lines are parallel or not...
    After conducting a test I found that these lines are skewed.

What I am confused about is this. I have 4 sets of coordinates now I know if I do

AB = B - A = (1,1,-1)

and CD = D - C = (-1,-1,-1) I get two vector equations

Now to find the distance between two vector equations we use vector projection and the unit vector but im not sure how I can lay that out

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So you have two lines ##\vec A + \lambda(\vec B - \vec A)## and ##\vec C + \mu (\vec D - \vec C)##.
    If I follow this example I need the veector product ##\vec N = \vec {AB} \times \vec {CD}## as the main step.

And note their extremely important tip: make a picture to see what you are doing !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted