1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Build right triangle with two points and a line

1. Oct 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the points ##A (1, -1, 0)## and ##B (4, 0, 6)##, find the point ##P## of the line ##s## so that the triangle ##ABP## is a right triangle in ##B##. Calculate the area of the triangle.
    ##s : \begin{cases}
    x = 1 + 4t \\
    y = 2 - 3t \\
    z = 3
    \end{cases}##
    ##\vec v_s = (4, -3, 0)##
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already know how to calculate the area of a triangle. The problem is actually finding the point that makes the triangle. I really have no idea on how to proceed in this case. I was thinking about finding the distances of the two points from the line but I don't think that would bring me anywhere. I tried finding the directional vector of the line that passes through the two points, which is ##\vec v_{AB} = (3, 1, 6)##, and find the relation between the two lines, maybe finding the intersection point too but it's useless. I really don't know where I should start. Any hint on how I should proceed?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2016 #2

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Do you remember how to tell whether two vectors are perpendicular? You've found a vector from A to B. You now need to find a vector from B to P and write down the condition that it is perpendicular to the vector from A to B, which will give you some equations that you can solve.

[Edited to correct typo]

4. Oct 12, 2016 #3
    Oh yes, the scalar product must be ##0##.
    Oh! So I would have something like this:
    ##(3, 1, 6) \cdot (a - 4, b - 0, c - 6) = 0## with ##P (a, b, c)##
    Am I right? But this would give me just one equation with three unknowns.

5. Oct 12, 2016 #4

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

##P## is known to be a point on the line ##s##, so you can use the general expression for such a point, then solve for ##t##.

[Edited again to fix a typo]

6. Oct 12, 2016 #5
    I end up with ##t = \frac{25}{11}## and substituting this in the equations of ##s## I end up with this point ##(\frac{111}{11}, -\frac{53}{11}, 3)##. Is it correct? Because if I try then with those coordinates, I don't have a scalar product equal to zero.

7. Oct 12, 2016 #6

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

That was a sensible sanity check. If your scalar product isn't zero, you've obviously got an arithmetic error, as the choice of ##t## was specifically to make it zero.

8. Oct 12, 2016 #7

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Just to help you narrow it down, I'll say that the 11 in your value 25/11 for ##t## is incorrect.

9. Oct 12, 2016 #8
    Thank you! I found the mistake. It was ##t = \frac{25}{9}##.
    So the point is ##P (\frac{109}{9}, -\frac{19}{3}, 3)##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted