Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance Measuring Sensor Advice

1. Oct 12, 2012 #1
    Hi There, I'm looking for ideas on finding the position of objects (such as a hand or foot) placed in a tank. Without using a camera soultion, I think the use of something like a minature laser range finder or IR proximity sensor. My problem is that I need to find distances between 5cm (min resoultion) and 85CM - ideally on one angle (90degrees from mounting plain). As I said, the accuracy needs to be min 5cm resolution.

Has anyone got any advice on devices/sensors I can use. My plan would be to use such sensors on two sides of the tank (x,y - no need to get the depth) Althought the IR ones may work I dont know whether they provide 5cm resolution

Thanks in advance,
    Lasith

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2012 #2
    what about acoustic ranging?

4. Oct 12, 2012 #3
    You don't say if the tank has material in it.

If not, then an ultrasonic sensor with analog output may do nicely.
    Or a series of inexpensive photoelectric through-beam sensors.

5. Oct 14, 2012 #4
    Thank You DragonPetter and tygerdawg for your suggestions. FYI, my tank contains water, and has a set of red dot lasers and phototransistors on two sides each to calculate the position. the problem that I wanted to solve by using a separate sensor(s) was inability to counter occlusion when two objects are inserted. The secondary sensors I am looking for are to be placed above the water surface (10cm above) of the tank. I think the acoustic sensors will pick up the water surface as a object so perhaps the IR is the only solution ?.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook