What Type of Sensor Can Measure the Distance Between Hands Accurately?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jonnyvegas
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Project Sensor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
jonnyvegas
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am beginning a new project in which I plan on using the distance between my hands as a measurement. Being new to electrical engineering, I am not quite sure of what type of sensor to use to accomplish this. I would the sensor in one hand to only pick up the receiver in the other hand, not just pick up my other hand i.e. IR sensor. Please be descriptive and if possible suggest some further reading I could do on this subject.

Thank you
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you insist on having a transmit/receive sort of sensor maybe you could use audio or ultra-sonic pings: a speaker in one hand and a mic in the other?

Otherwise I would have recommended something like the Sharp GP2D15 IR distance measuring sensor...
 
I was thinking using audio to accomplish this but I would like to use this project for music production, hence there would be a lot of sound already in the room. I would like to be able to move my hands in a 3D fashion and be able to know the distance between them at all times.

It wouldn't have to be a transmit/receive system, I just thought it would be easiest. Any suggestions welcomed.

I should have included that in my first post, Sorry

Thanks for the quick response schip666,

Cheers