What Type of Sensor Can Measure the Distance Between Hands Accurately?

In summary, the person is planning on using the distance between their hands as a measurement for a new project in electrical engineering. They are unsure of what type of sensor to use for this and are open to suggestions. They mention the Sharp GP2D15 IR distance measuring sensor as a possibility, but they are also considering using audio or ultra-sonic pings. They would like to be able to move their hands in a 3D fashion and have the distance between them constantly monitored. They are open to any suggestions and are using this project for music production.
jonnyvegas
I am beginning a new project in which I plan on using the distance between my hands as a measurement. Being new to electrical engineering, I am not quite sure of what type of sensor to use to accomplish this. I would the sensor in one hand to only pick up the receiver in the other hand, not just pick up my other hand i.e. IR sensor. Please be descriptive and if possible suggest some further reading I could do on this subject.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you insist on having a transmit/receive sort of sensor maybe you could use audio or ultra-sonic pings: a speaker in one hand and a mic in the other?

Otherwise I would have recommended something like the Sharp GP2D15 IR distance measuring sensor...

I was thinking using audio to accomplish this but I would like to use this project for music production, hence there would be a lot of sound already in the room. I would like to be able to move my hands in a 3D fashion and be able to know the distance between them at all times.

It wouldn't have to be a transmit/receive system, I just thought it would be easiest. Any suggestions welcomed.

I should have included that in my first post, Sorry

Thanks for the quick response schip666,

Cheers

why not the IR system?

Related to What Type of Sensor Can Measure the Distance Between Hands Accurately?

What is a sensor project?

A sensor project involves creating a device that can detect and measure physical properties such as light, temperature, motion, pressure, or sound. This can be used for various purposes such as environmental monitoring, industrial automation, or medical diagnostics.

What are the components needed for a sensor project?

The specific components needed for a sensor project may vary depending on the type of sensor being created. However, some common components include a sensor module, microcontroller, power source, and communication interface.

What programming languages are commonly used for sensor projects?

The programming language used for a sensor project depends on the type of microcontroller being used. Some popular languages for microcontrollers include C, C++, and Python. Additionally, some sensor modules may have their own specific programming language or libraries.

How do I calibrate a sensor for accuracy?

Calibrating a sensor involves comparing its readings to a known standard and adjusting the sensor accordingly. This can be done using specialized tools, or by manually adjusting the sensor's settings. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for calibration to ensure accurate readings.

What are some common challenges in sensor projects?

Some common challenges in sensor projects include interference from other electronic devices, environmental factors affecting sensor readings, and communication errors between the sensor and microcontroller. It is important to carefully plan and test the project to address these challenges and ensure accurate and reliable data.