Distance of Electrons with Electrostatic Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the distance between two electrons on Earth's surface where the electrostatic force between them is equal to the weight of one electron. The formula Fe = (1 / 4∏ε0) X (q1q2 / r^2) is used to solve for r, and the final answer should be 5.08 m. However, the individual solving the problem initially gets 15.98 m, which is then corrected to 5.02 m after accounting for the weight of an electron. A potential error involving the use of the value for gravity is also mentioned.
kgal

Homework Statement

How far apart must two electrons be placed on the Earth's surface for there to be an electrostatic force between them equal to the weight of one of the electrons?

Homework Equations

Fe = (1 / 4∏ε0) X (q1q2 / r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I set Fe = me- (electrical force = mass of electron).

and solved for r = sqrt( q^2 / (me-)(4∏ε0) ) = 15.98 m, but the answer should be 5.08 m..

Physics news on Phys.org
hi kgal! :smile:
kgal said:
I set Fe = me- (electrical force = mass of electron).

and solved for r = sqrt( q^2 / (me-)(4∏ε0) ) = 15.98 m, but the answer should be 5.08 m..

hmm … 15.98/5.08 = π …

did you lose a π somewhere?​

The WEIGHT of an electron = me x 9.81, I got the answer to be 5.02m

i attached the picture.

I don't see the flaw...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,029
thanks technician!

i thought that i have to ignore g because its so small compared to the electrical forces...

1. What is the distance of electrons with electrostatic force?

The distance of electrons with electrostatic force refers to the distance between two charged particles where the electrostatic force between them is significant. This distance is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the permittivity of the medium between the particles.

2. How does the distance of electrons affect the strength of the electrostatic force?

The strength of the electrostatic force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charged particles. This means that as the distance between the particles decreases, the force between them increases significantly.

3. What is the role of the distance of electrons in determining the stability of an atom?

The distance of electrons from the nucleus of an atom plays a crucial role in determining the stability of the atom. As the distance increases, the electrostatic force between the electrons and the nucleus decreases, making the atom less stable. This is why atoms with more tightly bound electrons are typically more stable.

4. Can the distance of electrons be manipulated?

Yes, the distance of electrons can be manipulated by changing the charge of the particles or by altering the medium between them. For example, in a capacitor, the distance between the two plates can be changed to alter the capacitance and the strength of the electrostatic force between them.

5. How does the distance of electrons impact the behavior of electric fields?

The distance of electrons affects the behavior of electric fields by determining the strength of the field at a given point. As the distance increases, the strength of the electric field decreases and the field becomes more diffuse. This is why electric fields are typically stronger closer to a source charge and weaker farther away.